Synthetic Oil Change - Cold Start Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Synthetic Oil Change - Cold Start Issues

Vehicle: 2006 F-250 6.0 Bulletproofed w/FICM upgrade

Problem: Any time it drops below 25 degrees it won't start; motor turns over but it doesn't catch.

History: Started having this issue the day after I had the oil changed about two weeks ago. I was stupid and didn't do my 6.0 research. Took the truck to the dealer and they put in 15w40 oil (non-synthetic). The following morning temps were around 10 degrees F and the truck wouldn't start. In the process of trying to start the truck while being jumped, I burned up the starter (after taking it off, I realized it was going to be due for a replacement anyways). Replaced both batteries and the starter and the truck started (around 40 degrees F outside).

Fast forward two weeks to yesterday. Big snow storm comes in and the temperature was around 15-20 degrees. Truck wouldn't start again after sitting overnight and most of the day. I could tell the batteries were having a hard time as the cab lights were flickering when the truck was trying to turn over.

I do not have an engine block heater cord, so plugging in overnight will be an issue until that is solved. I pulled the brand new batteries and one was reading 74% and the other 88% (don't remember voltage). I'm not sure if that is due to them being cheaper batteries (Motorcraft Gold) in cold weather or there is some kind of power draw slowly draining them along with being cold. I have the batteries inside and charging right now, so I will be putting them in this morning sometime and reporting back to how the truck starts.

Obviously y'all will tell me that I need to measure my voltage when trying to start the truck, etc. I'll get on that when I get the chance. But here's my big question:

If I change my oil to say Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic, is it likely that I will get the truck to start since it won't take as much effort to push that thick, cold oil through the engine? Secondly, if that is likely to help, can I just drain the oil where the truck sits and fill it full of T6 without changing the oil filter since I literally only have 100 miles on it? The truck is levelled on 35's, so crawling up under it in the snow shouldn't be too big a problem, I'd just rather not do it if y'all think it won't help.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Do you have a monitor? You need to know your icp, ipr %, batt. Voltage,ficm voltage, and in codes that your truck is throwing. Type oil should not matter as far as starting but glow plugs not operating could be a problem. I thought all diesel comes with block heater mine is zipped tied to the inside of my bumper maybe yours is just hidden really well? Idk? Monitors are a must check out this if you have not already.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I feel your pain, my truck barely starts when its 40* outside without plugging in...

I just switched to T6 and Rev X for me, and honestly, its not much better... I have found that if you can't plug in, cycle the key on/off 3-5 times. Or some say turn the key on and let the glow plugs warm up then key off/key on again then start. I still have to let my truck warm up a good while or it runs like pooh for 5 min or so...

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Tried starting it again this morning with full batteries that charged overnight. Same result. The motor would turn over but it would never catch. I wasn't able to get voltage reading and the FICM voltage, etc, but I did get a few codes. (My handheld was left outside in the truck and was running very slowly). Once I cleared the codes, the didn't come back other than P0000 which I assume is nothing?

Anyways, these were the codes:
U610
U(011
U5514
P4000
U3=00

I'll do a quick google search on these, but figured I'd post here first.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

You have other issues than just the oil type and viscosity. Yes you can just drain it and put in 5w40 synthetic. However, it could be fuel gelling - that seems to be a recurring item for many this year. Pull your lower fuel filter to check as it seems to be the primary location for the build-up. Again, without a monitor you are missing a lot of information to make a good diagnosis. Who knows, maybe you have a sensor and sync issue, FICM issue, etc; but you don't know which problem you have.

But a heater cord, even a $10 amazon one.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.dtcdecode.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
You have other issues than just the oil type and viscosity. Yes you can just drain it and put in 5w40 synthetic. However, it could be fuel gelling - that seems to be a recurring item for many this year. Pull your lower fuel filter to check as it seems to be the primary location for the build-up. Again, without a monitor you are missing a lot of information to make a good diagnosis. Who knows, maybe you have a sensor and sync issue, FICM issue, etc; but you don't know which problem you have.

But a heater cord, even a $10 amazon one.
The truck has the AirDog Lift Pump and I just had the fuel filters changed out. It doesn't sound any different when I cycle the key, but I suppose I can check that out anyways. I'm a little weary of buying the non-insulated heater cord, so once it warms up a bit and the truck starts, I'll likely drive over and get the dealer to install the OEM one. I'm not sure my handheld is capable of monitoring all the things you mentioned, so I'll have to see if I can borrow one from a buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Thanks for the link. All I got were errors when inputting the codes I got though; however, the handheld was acting up since it was so cold, so there could've been some false readings. Who knows.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

I'm going to try this on the truck when I get home tonight (assuming my hands function in the cold), and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

DIESEL 9?1?1 For Winter Emergencies: Winter Rescue Formula ? use to reliquefy gelled fuel and de-ice frozen fuel-filters.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I read some good stuff on diesel 911 if the fuel is gelled... Here in south tx, I doubt I will ever need it... LOL
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

I'm being kind of lazy and don't want to attempt to put it in the lower fuel filter. Put it in the top, primed it, put more in the top, primed it then dumped the rest in the tank and primed it again. I'll let it sit for an hour or so to hopefully do its thing then try starting her up. I may take a propane torch to the lower fuel filter and oil pan if this doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.