ball joint replacement? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ball joint replacement?

I'm thinking of changing out the ball joints on my 250. I had to change a tire tonight and just did the ol wiggle test and the passenger side was loose. I've got a shop with about every standard tool you could think of is there any "specialty tools" I might not have to complete the job. The other thing could anybody give me a COMPLETE parts list i would need to accomplish this task? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM

I never used any special tools other than a ball joint press. there really isn't a parts list other than having the ball joints to do this. but there is always some stuff you could do while you have everything apart, like you could replace you ABS cable, try and grease your wheel bearings, just be careful about the O-ring and the axle shaft seal.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I first got my truck I found that the front right brake caliper has been locked up and had gotten so hot it ruined everything on that side. Of all the things I had to replace, the ball joints were without doubt the worst. Thankfully I had a friend's help in a shop that works on farm equipment, so we had every tool possible. The hardest part, that you would have at home would be pressing the ball joints out of the knuckle. We had a big shop press, and it took all it had to get them to pop out. Not to mention it was a pain orienting the knuckle just so we could get the right angle on the press. If you're going to try this job at home, I would definately take the knuckle somewhere to have the joints pressed out and in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.