HPOP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP

Where does the HPOP draw it's oil from?
2004 F250 6.0L. (Jan/04 build date) I've replaced the head studs, deleted the egr and after the repairs I had a problem with the high side oil pressure not feeding enough pressure to the injectors causing rough idle and shut-off conditions. I tore the top end back apart, checked everything over and found a crudded up and stuck IPR and it appears that's it, everything else is fine.

While I've got it down that far I decided to check the STC fitting on the HPOP outlet tube and it is fine. I'm mainly wondering where the HPOP gets it's supply of oil since I don't plan to remove the HPOP and I'm just curious, I really don't want there to be a supply proplem once it's buttoned back up again. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's a 1 quart reservoir in the valley under the intake that the pump gets its oil from. The reservoir is fed from the oil filter housing. I've never read about anybody having a problem on the intake side of the HPOP, so I'd think you'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

HPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
There's a 1 quart reservoir in the valley under the intake that the pump gets its oil from. The reservoir is fed from the oil filter housing. I've never read about anybody having a problem on the intake side of the HPOP, so I'd think you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply. Since you say it's a 1 quart reservoir in the valley I would think that would be the reservoir just beneath the oil cooler? Is there a tube that attaches to the underside of that reservoir that attaches to the pump or is it just an oil galley that is cast in with the block? I do remember seeing that drain hole in the reservoir but cannot see where it would connect with the pump. It doesn't appear to just drain into the pump area so there must be some type of connection right? Thanks once again.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is a reservoir under the oil cooler. In the reservoir is a screen that typically fails. This screen is the "last line of defense" before the oil is supplied to the HPOP. If the screen on the IPR valve is sucked in, you will need to replace the HPOP and the IPR valve. Part number for the screen is 3C3Z-6C683-AA from Ford.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

HPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
There is a reservoir under the oil cooler. In the reservoir is a screen that typically fails. This screen is the "last line of defense" before the oil is supplied to the HPOP. If the screen on the IPR valve is sucked in, you will need to replace the HPOP and the IPR valve. Part number for the screen is 3C3Z-6C683-AA from Ford.
Now that's what I needed to know. Thanks!

Now it looks as if I have more work to do..

I did have the oil cooler off when replacing the head gaskets and I cleaned the reservoir including the oil inside it and I did not see a screen. I did see a drain hole that was directed towards the back of the block, but it did not have a screen over the hole. I did re-fill that reservoir after cleaning with new oil before installing the oil cooler.

What shape is the screen and about how big? Could it have sucked inside that drain hole?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Here is what the screen looks like:

Last edited by m-chan68; 03-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

HPOP

Thanks m-chan68

I guess Capital Motors of Pierre, SD. left that out when the oil cooler was replaced beacuse it definately was not in my engine when I tore it down to replace the head gaskets. I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here's a pic from the "6.0 Bible"

Page 25: Lubrication System

6.0L Bible Table of Contents
Old 10-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
Yep, that's an even better picture. That screen almost ALWAYS fails on these engines. Every one that I've had apart so far, I always end up replacing.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

HPOP

Thanks to all for the replys. Still don't have it back together though. Need more cash!!!

Another question. Since the HPOP supply screen wasn't in there from the EGR cooler repair back in October of 07 till now, I'd tend to agree with m-chan68 and guess that the HPOP is shot, but are there any methods to check it to be sure besides putting it all back together and putting it on the scanner to check pressures? Is there a way to test it off of the truck individually? Man I don't want that added expense if I can avoid it, but if it is bad then I know I'll have to man up and do it!

Also, I'd like to see if someone can tell me what exactly is inside the "kit" that was replaced when they fixed the truck in October of 07? The "kit" number is 3C3Z-6A642-AA, at a cost of $702.45 All of the other components were listed as individual pieces and are self explanatory but this one.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.