Bad Vibration!!! Makes no sense - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: southeast, Texas
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Vibration!!! Makes no sense

I was crusing down the road last night around 65-70 mph and out of no were I got a bad vibration I thought I had a tire coming apart or something. I stoped and looked at the tires and they were fine. after I took back off everything was fine agian..... 8-10 miles down the road it does it agian.

Once the vibrations starts I can come to a stop and take off and it goes away for a few miles then comes back. Its geting way more frequent today.

I took the drive shaft out today and all the u-joints feel fine, the carrier bearing has a little play in it but thats normal. The pinion doesnt have any play and there isnt any kind of grinding noise when I turn it. The front drive shaft is fine as well.

I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate some suggestions from someone who knows more about these trucks then me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Let's Run'em


 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 17,682
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudracer80 View Post
I was crusing down the road last night around 65-70 mph and out of no were I got a bad vibration I thought I had a tire coming apart or something. I stoped and looked at the tires and they were fine. after I took back off everything was fine agian..... 8-10 miles down the road it does it agian.

Once the vibrations starts I can come to a stop and take off and it goes away for a few miles then comes back. Its geting way more frequent today.

I took the drive shaft out today and all the u-joints feel fine, the carrier bearing has a little play in it but thats normal. The pinion doesnt have any play and there isnt any kind of grinding noise when I turn it. The front drive shaft is fine as well.

I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate some suggestions from someone who knows more about these trucks then me.
How many miles since the lift? Did the kit come with a carrier drop bracket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: southeast, Texas
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the 4" lift is not on the truck right now. it is completly stock


I havent got around to putting the lift on yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Let's Run'em


 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 17,682
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudracer80 View Post
the 4" lift is not on the truck right now. it is completly stock


I havent got around to putting the lift on yet.
Oh........how many miles are on the truck? Have you added an aftermarket set of wheels or bigger tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Rob Rob is offline
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 13,239
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
jack up each wheel and check your lugs. just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: southeast, Texas
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The back lugs are good but I will check the front. The truck has a 156,000 miles all u-joints have been changed once. Stock rims and 33 12.50 tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Let's Run'em


 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 17,682
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudracer80 View Post
The back lugs are good but I will check the front. The truck has a 156,000 miles all u-joints have been changed once. Stock rims and 33 12.50 tires.
Well it sounds like the carrier bearing needs to be replaced......what kind of tire are your running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Gatos CA
Posts: 733
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case to transmission bolted tight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Rob Rob is offline
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 13,239
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
where does the vibration come from, is it in the steering wheel?? the back end?? can you feel it in the brake pedal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: southeast, Texas
Posts: 285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The carrier bearing seems fine. it has a little play in it but its just a rubber insert, I thought that was normal.

I will check the transf to trans connection here in a little bit.

The vibration is not in the steering wheel it seems to be the whole truck, I initially thought it was come from the rear but I secound guessing myself now. It feel just like a tire is coming apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors