'04 6.0L engine skips, trying to figure it out why - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 L engine runs rough, skipping, surging ???????

Hello,

Have some trouble with my 2004 F-350 6.0 L it has 115K miles. I have owned the truck since it came off the line.

About 2 months ago the engine it started skipping. When started in the morning it runs rough, with a lack of power, after about 5 minutes it settles down and runs better. It has had the flash that is supposed to fix this, and it helped for about 1 week, then started back doing it again.

After it warms up a bit, it will keep skipping, this will keep up for about 25-30 minutes if you are going steady like on a freeway, but if itís stop & go driving it has continued for up to 45-60 minutes. Once it stops skipping, if you are at steady speed, you can feel it occasionally have a slight surge. This will continue the entire time (up to a 10 hr trip). I drive it mainly alone, but even with a gooseneck horse trailer, the extra load doesnít make it run any worse.

I have run Lucas fuel cleaner thru 3 tanks, 1 tank with kerosene, 2 tanks with Sea Foam, and have changed both fuel filters. We have also had the truck running with the computer hooked up with no codes coming up.

The skipping never gets bad enough to stop the truck, just have tried everything Iíve been able to think of if itís dirty fuel, or a partially clogged fuel injector.

I also have a Hypertech comp chip, could it have a problem? At the first of the year it started the slight surging, and I took the truck in and they ran in on the computer, no codes.

I know itís impossible to diagnose with just my limited info, but any suggestions of what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Took it to the heavy duty diesel mechanic I use, and took for a test run, then disconnected the EGR valve. When I started it back up it was running rough the whole time, not just occassionally.

Does this mean it is or it is not the EGR Valve??

Thanks again for any input, let me know if you need more information.
Tracy

Last edited by trucksr4girls; 09-24-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

I have been haveng the same problem since abou Dec. time frame. I just took it to the dealer for the third time and couldn't find anything. So yesterday I broke down and drove the 3 hours to Trucks Unlimited. Scuffy828 and Jon work there and they seem to know a lot about the 6.0 give them a shout.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what were/is the result, having similar problem but not long few seconds to a minute and goes away, ran 2 can of fuel cleaner, changed egr, regular maintenance since have 25000k ago.help,
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke Techie

To everyone in this thread, it sounds like injector(s) are failing. Unfortunately, without a scan tool that you can view a power balance graph (Ford's IDS for example), to isolate the offending cylinder(s), when the symptom occurs, it will be almost impossible to pinpoint. What you can do for now, is connect a fuel pressure gauge, and monitor it. Pressure should be around 56 or so psi. Pay particular attention to how low the pressure drops to, UNDER LOAD (ie hard acceleration). Low fuel pressure will wipe out injector(s).
Old 10-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The EGR vavle was very full of soot, we cleaned it and replaced. The truck is doing much, much better. Still acting up a little bit.

The EGR Cooler is cracked, the fluid level is being maintained, going to replace the cooler this week.

Suspect that the cooler is also full of carbon build up, but need to replace it anyway as it is damaged.

Will hook up a computer to see if it has any codes for the injectors, never has in the past, but will check before getting into the engine for the cooler.

Hope this helps.

Will post results after the EGR cooler is done.

Tracy
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucksr4girls View Post
The EGR Cooler is cracked, the fluid level is being maintained, going to replace the cooler this week.

Suspect that the cooler is also full of carbon build up, but need to replace it anyway as it is damaged.

Tracy
Be sure to monitor your ECT and EOT differentials too. Remember, if your EOT reading is greater than 25 degrees fahrenheit hotter than your ECT readings under any condition, your oil cooler needs replaced as well. Oil cooler failures are usually the cause of EGR cooler failures in the first place.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

got a gage, can you show/tell what is best way to hook up ie an existing port, picture would be great. truck still under warranty, but ford have to check those injectors i would think.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Result:

I took the truck into the shop, the problem seemed to be fuel injector #5, and the thermostat.

I had the injector replaced, and the thermostat replaced, also had the cracked EGR Cooler replaced.

It runs like a champ!!!! Yippy.

The thermostat was the problem with the cold start, and both problems has gotten really, really bad just before the repairs. Very rough running, cylinder cutting out, missing and lack of power.

Hope this info helps everyone.

Tracy
The Following User Says Thank You to trucksr4girls For This Useful Post:
RafterQ (06-23-2014)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A question for m-chan68,

I have a 2004 6.0 Excursion, 112k. The problem, at times with the engine at normal temp at a light the engine will surge, I sometime feel a very, very slight engine miss. Also just off base idle, (a touch of the pedal) cruising at any speed I can feel a surge.
Otherwise the vehicle runs great with no power loss or loss of fuel mileage. No codes,no engine light.

Thank You in advance to all who answer!

Last edited by smokindiesel; 02-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindiesel View Post
A question for m-chan68,

I have a 2004 6.0 Excursion, 112k. The problem, at times with the engine at normal temp at a light the engine will surge, I sometime feel a very, very slight engine miss. Also just off base idle, (a touch of the pedal) cruising at any speed I can feel a surge.
Otherwise the vehicle runs great with no power loss or loss of fuel mileage. No codes,no engine light.

Thank You in advance to all who answer!
Without codes, it would take some live data monitoring, and perhaps fuel pressure monitoring to pinpoint. ICP (volts, psi and desired), IPR duty cycle, all three FICM voltages, B+, engine RPM, FICM SYNC, SYNC, EGR error, EBP psi, MAP psi, BARO psi would be some of the live data I would be monitoring.

Is this an early-2004 model year (2003 engine) or a late-2004 model year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.