Please help! Problems with first diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help! Problems with first diesel

I bought a 2003 F350 CC dually. It has the 6.0, auto and 4wd. When I bought it, I got it for a pretty cheap price because the rear pinion had walked and broken some teeth. I figured with 130,xxx on the clock, it was worth buying and fixing.

I drove it for 15,xxx + trouble free miles. Recently, I was going from PA to RI to pick up a car. The dually drove great pulling my 20 foot trailer. I loaded the car, amd headed for home. About 2 hours from home, I had to stop to get fuel. I filled up and got back on the road. About 20 mins later, I started losing power. It kept getting worse and worse until finally, I was at my new top speed of 30 mph. I limped the truck home and chocked it up to bad fuel.

The next morning I went to look over the things I could. I am not familiar with diesels at all, so please be kind. I changed the air filter out since it looked pretty bad anyway. I changed the oil and filter. I changed both fuel filters and noticed that the filter under the truck looked like it was crushed inside the canister. I tried starting the truck and it would idle just fine but as soon as I would put it in reverse or drive, RPMs would drop and the truck couldn't get it's own weight moving. I thought maybe the Cat had collapsed so I cut the exhaust just before the cat and fired the engine up again. No change. The exhaust looked great, so I welded it back on. A local Ford mechanic told me the EGR valves are prone to caking and getting stuck, so I pulled the EGR out and cleaned it. Re-installed it and still no change. I recently removed the EGR all together and installed a spool. Still no change.

The truck is not putting any smoke out of the exhaust. I can barely get the RPMs over 2500. Like I said, it will start and idle like a champ. It just falls on it's face when I put it in any gear. If I let it run for 15-20 mins, I can drive it on the road, but there is a noticable lack of power.

I forgot to mention at the beginning, but as far as I can tell, there are NO mods on this thing anywhere.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also forgot to mention that I am not getting any check engine light.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you pulled the fuel filters were they really dirty? Do you know the last time they were replaced?? I had a similar problem and I had a few bad injectors
Old 08-17-2008, 05:18 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

run a fuel pressure test and see if it is getting at least 45 lbs of fuel pressure at idle and under load
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunninpig View Post
When you pulled the fuel filters were they really dirty? Do you know the last time they were replaced?? I had a similar problem and I had a few bad injectors
I didn't know when the fuel filters were changed last. Yes, they were extremely dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
run a fuel pressure test and see if it is getting at least 45 lbs of fuel pressure at idle and under load
Ok, I will try that in the morning. If the fuel pressure is not at least 45 pounds, does that mean my fuel pump is the culprit?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

Does the truck stall out? You said there was no smoke of any type right?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe you got some bad fuel.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:07 PM

If the filters didnt have the thin membrane around it to stop moisture it could have damaged an injector.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

look at your boost line on your turbo i put a chip in my truck and had to move boost line some i never got it tight enough and i lost all power it would not pull its self up a small hill and it would not rev up at all 2500 is where it would stop at
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM

just a thought, but did you sample the fuel?? Gasoline in a diesel may run and idle like a champ. Ask for power and it dumps off like a misfire or quits shortly thereafter!! I've had a few customers who just fuelled up and then felt problems. Sometimes there own fault, most times someone elses!!! Like the gas station attendant who doesn't know you own a diesel powered truck. Or the delivery truck which fills up the wrong tanks with gas. That has happened before and the resulting damage was catastrophic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.