Blowing Excessive Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing Excessive Smoke

Hey all, thanks for the great posts and insight on this forum. I've been searching and diagnosing many problems with the help of this forum for awhile, but just finally joined. I am stumped on my current problem. Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance for the long post.

I have a 2004 6.0 that is blowing excessive smoke out the tailpipe. It was originally a light colored smoke. I retrieved some turbo codes, so I removed the turbo and checked it out. Sure enough the vanes and ring were seized up. I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the turbo. Hoping I solved the problem, I started the truck and still have smoke gushing. It is a light gray at idle, but gets darker if reved up.

Then I thought that I had injector firing issues since 3 of the injector side plugs for the wiring connectors were cracked. The wire harness would not seat properly was my guess. (When I got the truck, the metal clips on the wire harness connectors were missing, so a couple of them would loosen every once in a while. I would push them back on, and cracked them over time. My bad. I have since replaced the metal clips) I replaced the broken connectors, and put everything back together. No change, still gushing smoke. I took the truck for a short test drive, and it has tons of power. It has no problem starting. It does seem to puke a very little bit of coolant from the degas bottle only when I accelerate hard.

I scanned the truck with a snap-on modis scanner, and do not come up with any codes.

I have spent countless hours searching the forums for the solution, and am at my wits end. I think that it is one thing, continue to do my research, than feel it could be another. I don't want to keep throwing expensive darts guessing what the problem is. I am about ready to bring it to a shop to have diagnosed by an expert, but figured I'd post on here prior to doing so.

Here is some history on the truck, for what it is worth. I bought the truck about a year and a half ago, not running. It was obvious that it had a rough life just by looking at it. Upon doing some research, It turns out it had been repo-ed. My guess is the previous owner got angry at this and sabotaged the truck a bit. Long story short, some of the major things I did to get it running include: sent the FICM out to get redone, replaced the fuel pump and sender, replaced all 8 injectors, replaced the head gaskets and heads. I'm sure there are others things as well, that don't come to mind right away. After all this, the truck has run fine for about 4000 miles until the turbo problem came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was the exhaust side of the turbo wet with oil when you took the turbo apart to clean it? Did the smoke get worse after you cleaned it? Have you checked your ficm voltage even though you recently had it repaired? Any injector problems like missing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The exhaust side of the turbo was sooty and dry. The smoke might be a little worse. FICM voltage is still at 48. There doesn't seem to be any missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.