PCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PCM

I have been having a problem with my speedometer will quit working and then the transmission goes into a limp mode it will do this intermittently. Then everything will work as it should. I have checked everything I can. I think the problem is the PCM. This is a 06 E350. I also have a 04 F 350 also with a 6.0. I was thinking about putting the F350 PCM in the E 350 to see if the PCM is the problem. Can I do this switch without burning something up. The plugs look the same I just don't want to ruin my good F350 PCM
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Econolines are known for wiring chafes around the PCM area. You may want to look at the harnesses in that area more closely

I would not try the PCM swap from the F to the E without programming the module first.

when you lose the speedo do you get various other warning lights on the dash? Do you loose the tach too? I have only had one bad PCM in an econoline 6.0 and it was doing something similar, it was actually losing communication with the other modules on the HS-CAN network, it wasn't affecting the engine running but everything else related to that network was messed up (Instrument cluster and transmission shifting).

The thing that totally sealed the deal was the fact that I had codes for the PCM losing communication with the TCM, since the are both contained in one module it only stood to reason the fault was internal.

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 11-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When the speedometer quits usually in a few minutes the transmission goes into a limp mode. I lose the communication with my scanner in the 7e9 function. I can still get data readings from the other line. When all this happens the van runs great but if I shut it off it will not restart. This usually happens after the van is warm. Sometimes I can drive 30 miles before it acts up sometimes 5 miles you never know I have changed the speed sensors, there was a chaffed wire in the top of the trans I repaired it but it didn't help. I have tried checking for other bad connection but nothing has helped. I am about ready to pull out the rest of my hair.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I looked at your question again, you wanted to know about the dash. The rest of the dash is normal and the speedo does not go to 0 it will stay at whatever speed I was going when it quit. When everything goes back to normal I have no codes.
Thanks Again
Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I cannot remember if the one I had would restart after you shut it off. I agree it does sound like a pcm issue but it's hard to say for sure. The PCM definitely communicates vehicle speed to the Instrument Cluster.

If you can read the PCM tear tag(4 digits) you may be able to match it up with one off of Ebay. I see quite a few used 6.0 PCMs on there. I am honestly not sure if you can just go swapping 6.0 PCMs around. There are a lot of different hardware numbers and software calibrations, I couldn't tell you what would happen if you plugged in another one.

I do remember I did finally replicate the concern at the shop while wiggling on the PCM connectors. Even though the fault was internal to the PCM I was still able to move the hardshell around enough to make it happen.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your input. I will check the wires for chaffing. Where would I need to look is it near the plug?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.