Recommendation on 6.0 upgrades and/or future repairs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recommendation on 6.0 upgrades and/or future repairs

Hey everyone,

New to the group and diesel. I am a Jeep enthusiast and haul my Jeep to events with my Truck. Driving a used '05 F250 King Ranch I bought earlier this year with 115K miles and now at approx. 125K miles and have so far changed head studs, added BulletProof Oil Cooler/EGR cooler, SCT tuned and now looking like I just had potential failure of my HPOP. I am aware I should look into an uprgraded FICM module soon. I mostly daily drive it but haul my Jeep and trailer (about 8k lbs) a few times a year. I did research and knew some issues with this motor, but more has come up than I planned.

I am looking for any further recommendations to start preparing for in the near future for failure as my 6.0 continues to nickel and dime me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

If you want it to be dependable don't tune it. I hate to say it but boys and girls but they are tough on the engine. From increased cylinder pressure, higher hpo pressures even the injectors are worked harder. Then of coarse you have exhaust valves/guides operating at higher temps as well.
So I guess my suggestion for you to keep it from nickel and dimeing you would be leave the tuner out.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
So I guess my suggestion for you to keep it from nickel and dimeing you would be leave the tuner out.
I'm new here and new to diesels as well. I'm trying to read as much as possible on what mods would be good for my 6.0 and have heard that some tuners (Edge, etc.) can be a problem but others really give props to SCT and custom tunes. I'd definitely like to get better mileage out of my new 6.0 but wouldn't want to do so at the expense of my engine/tranny so please tell me more about the pros/cons of stock vs. tuned.....
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Tuners have come a long ways since the 6.0 came out.
The 6.0 was one of the first engines completely computer controlled and was a dream come true for tuner companies.
Crank up this and that a Whala you went from 325hp to 500hp. Problem was the learning curve on what it caused to fail and how soon. The more they are pushed the more likely of a failure.
There are tunes that are very stable and not too taxing on the engine. SCT is the favorite for sure for the 6.0. A tune is going to increase hp don't count on a gain in milage it rarely happens. I myself do not feel a tuner is worth the trouble. Now I do have the FICM tune but that's it. There is a small gain on power and fuel milage but only 50hp.
There are tunes out there that people like you might try looking in the performance forum here.
Just know the engine must be healthy before you put a tune on it.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch2005 View Post
Hey everyone,

New to the group and diesel. I am a Jeep enthusiast and haul my Jeep to events with my Truck. Driving a used '05 F250 King Ranch I bought earlier this year with 115K miles and now at approx. 125K miles and have so far changed head studs, added BulletProof Oil Cooler/EGR cooler, SCT tuned and now looking like I just had potential failure of my HPOP. I am aware I should look into an uprgraded FICM module soon. I mostly daily drive it but haul my Jeep and trailer (about 8k lbs) a few times a year. I did research and knew some issues with this motor, but more has come up than I planned.

I am looking for any further recommendations to start preparing for in the near future for failure as my 6.0 continues to nickel and dime me.

Thanks
Tuners and programmers arent the problem! Dont buy a "chip" that screws the incoming and outgoing signals from the pcm, instead get a sct or similar programmer that saves the stock tune and uploads a new tune that better suits your needs- ie daily driver, tow, or performance tune. The most important thing is to monitor your truck with gauges or a monitor so you know when to back off the go pedal. Drive smart and safe on a tuner and the truck will last you, drive around like you stole it pulling a 8k# trailer and your gonna have problems... Even a stock 6.0 will have problems if your drifting every turn and racing cars down the highway and pulling heavy loads... just be smart about it brotha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM

A possible problem that i just ran into is the fuel tank delaminating on the inside and if not caught soon i have heard of people having to replace everything from the fuel tank all the way up to the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.