Loosing coolant? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loosing coolant?

Well I hope its not what im thinking but im loosing coolant. Its only a little bit but I pop the hood and there is always white spots on degas bottle. I deleted egr about a month ago and oil cooler was good. I also put a coolant filter on. I def do not have the funds to do head studs ill have to trade truck in but truck still runs good. Also I replaced cap and is still doing it. ?? How would I def know if it was a head gasket. I rarely run truck hard and its not tuned

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief434 View Post
Well I hope its not what im thinking but im loosing coolant. Its only a little bit but I pop the hood and there is always white spots on degas bottle. I deleted egr about a month ago and oil cooler was good. I also put a coolant filter on. I def do not have the funds to do head studs ill have to trade truck in but truck still runs good. Also I replaced cap and is still doing it. ?? How would I def know if it was a head gasket. I rarely run truck hard and its not tuned

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
There are a couple of ways to determine where you are loosing coolant. One is the EGR cooler, but since you said you deleted the "EGR" I'm guessing that means you deleted the cooler and not just the EGR valve?

External leaks can be water pump, radiator, heater core, hoses, or degas bottle. Assume no visible coolant on the ground?

The degas can puke coolant for several reasons, including a bad cap, warped or partially melted bottle, excessive ECT (boil over), flash boil of coolant in EGR cooler due to restricted coolant flow from oil cooler, or cylinder pressure that makes it's way into the cooling system when head gaskets fail or heads lift under high boost. The later is unfortunately fairly common on unstudded 6.0s, and happens with both tuned and untuned trucks, with low miles and with high miles.

The way to rule out head gaskets is to connect a pressure gauge to the cooling system and then run the truck under load (pulling a grade with a load so turbo boost is >20 psi for a little while). If your head gaskets are toast you will see pressure in the cooling system that quickly reaches and exceeds 16 psi, the vent pressure of the degas bottle cap. My truck would reach 22 psi in the cooling system, but only with the Lance camper loaded and pulling a grade. Fast forward to now, after studs, new head gaskets and the whole 9 yards, and I am monitoring cooling system pressure using my Edge Insight. It generally runs between 4 and 7 PSI.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.