Won't start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 10:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start!

I have an '05. Bone stock 4X4. A few weeks ago it began having trouble starting. It would turn over but would not start right up. Seemed to happen when it was a "hot/warm start"; cold she'd start no problem. After trying a few more times, it would start. Then a week ago we go to Costco & do a little shopping. Come out....she won't start at all. I turn that thing over for 1/2 hr. while waiting for the flatbed AAA tow. Take it to my regular guy. He says it starts right up (don't know if it was cold or hot). He keeps it for a couple of days and no problem; starts every time. He says he is getting a "code" but it's old and he doesn't have the book to read it and I didn't get it. My bad. Yesterday, same thing. Go to Home Depot, come out...no start. Turns over all day but won't start. Towed AGAIN, this time to the Ford Dealer that just happened to be 1/4 mile down the road.

A guy in the Costco lot told me it could be a "timing plug" or something like that. Says his company's fleet had issues with '05s too. Any suggestions? I haven't heard back from the dealer, but my regular guy left the code in the computer so hopefully they can diagnose it. No "check engine" light or any other issues. Just the intermitant starts when warm...then nada.

Mahalo....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
that seems pretty odd, with the no start during the warmer times and start up when its cold? seems like it would be opposite if it was cold and wouldnt start. Mine did that but it was injector related, doesnt seem to be your problem though. let the good old ford techs get their hands on it, they have them scanner that will tell everything. i take it your truck is totally stock? I hate reading about people with problems it really sucks. i hope everything gets worked out for you, and be sure to post up what happens, what the problem was and how they fixed it. that should help others out if they have a similar problem!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Yep, it's a 100% stock truck. No chip, exhaust...nothing. It's very frustrating actually. Thank god I have AAA. I can imagine how much the two tows alone would've been. I'll be sure to post what they find.

I remembered the thing about "cam/timing plug" the guy told me at Costco. I mentioned that to the Ford service guy and he didn't say a word. I don't think HE knew squat.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
he probably didn't. its terrible that they throw these guys in here and they dont know a damn thing. before they do anything huge to your truck i would let him explain to you whats going on and then report back to here and see what others say!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I will throw in my two cents in here now, with the hope of shedding some light that doesn't seem to appear, judging by the posts I've read so far. I am willing to bet the codes retrieved were P2290 and/or P2291 ICP low/too low while cranking. The falls exactly under the Ford's TSB 08-09-09 category. The person who advised "cam/timing plug" is probably referring to the cam sensor which only fails on 7.3L equipped trucks, NOT 6.0L. Being an '05 model year, I am willing to bet my life that the high pressure oil pump STC (Snap-to-Connect) fitting has blown off the high pressure oil pump outlet. Your symptpm description of a no-start when warm points EXACTLY to that. You should have your truck repaired in a very timely manner, if the Ford dealer tech servicing the truck has any kind of experience at all. If you want any more information, e-mail me personally.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
I will throw in my two cents in here now, with the hope of shedding some light that doesn't seem to appear, judging by the posts I've read so far. I am willing to bet the codes retrieved were P2290 and/or P2291 ICP low/too low while cranking. The falls exactly under the Ford's TSB 08-09-09 category. The person who advised "cam/timing plug" is probably referring to the cam sensor which only fails on 7.3L equipped trucks, NOT 6.0L. Being an '05 model year, I am willing to bet my life that the high pressure oil pump STC (Snap-to-Connect) fitting has blown off the high pressure oil pump outlet. Your symptpm description of a no-start when warm points EXACTLY to that. You should have your truck repaired in a very timely manner, if the Ford dealer tech servicing the truck has any kind of experience at all. If you want any more information, e-mail me personally.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed info. You obviously are very experienced & knowledgable. I'm printing it out as we speak. I haven't heard back yet from the dealership, but I intend to call today to see where it's at. Mahalo again and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to e-mail you.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Just picked the truck up from Bickford Ford, Snohomish. Their diagnosis and repair: "40203 high pressure oil pump fitting coupler failure test drove vehicle to get to op temp, let soak for 15 minutes, engine would not start. performed hard start/no start sheet test 1-8, found P2291, also found TSB#08-9-9, performed air pressure check-found air leak noise from both valve covers, removed both cover and oil rails to perform under valve cover air leak-nothing obvious was found, perf. high press oil pump test-passed, removed high press oil pump cover found bubbles aroudn stc fitting while air pressure testing, perf STC repair, perf air press test after repair-passed. reassembled, test drove-let soak for 15 minutes-engine started right up. cleared codes, re-drove no codes. NOTE: while getting engine to op temp found a 39 degree difference between ECT and EOT and coolant overflow from degas bottle. Failed oil cooler 9.50 found TSB#08-11-3 installed pressure tester on cooling system, performed test...oil cooler failed. replaced oil cooler per TSB, flushed cooling system....passed... use op-codes 08113A, 08113B, 08113F"

The way the service guy explained it, due to the oil cooler failure the engine was overheating (which my gauge never showed). The computer then would shut down the engine and not allow it to start so it wouldn't cause any damage. All no charge except my $100 deductible. They also did a complete oil change, fuel filter etc service since it was time anyway and they had to drain the oil...

Looks like m-chan68 was spot on with the "The falls exactly under the Ford's TSB 08-09-09 category", "I am willing to bet my life that the high pressure oil pump STC (Snap-to-Connect) fitting has blown off the high pressure oil pump outlet:" and the "P2291 code".

Last edited by localboy; 08-01-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.