No start on cold engine till oil pressure builds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start on cold engine till oil pressure builds

I have this problem, I crank my truck and it fires and dies right away, does this 2-3 times then long crank for 10-15 seconds, about now the oil guage goes up and truck fires and runs like a raped ape all day. It only happens after a long sit like overnight. If truck was run 4-6 hours ago it fires right up no problem. Ive checked the plunger under the filter and it holds oil when depressed. Ive changed the oil filter and cap with new ones purchased from Ford. Have any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Please help, it's getting worse. I figure it's either the LPOP or HPOP. Gonna try to replace dummy plugs and stand pipes but the fact that it has to build LPOP pressure during every cold start makes me think the LP oil is leaking down over time.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityRacing View Post
Please help, it's getting worse. I figure it's either the LPOP or HPOP. Gonna try to replace dummy plugs and stand pipes but the fact that it has to build LPOP pressure during every cold start makes me think the LP oil is leaking down over time.
Sounds like HPOP to me. IIRC, these trucks won't start with less than 550 psi from the HPOP. You need to look at HPOP orings, dummy plugs, standpipes and the STC fitting.

The LPOP on these trucks is very robust. Mine will hit 100 psi when cold, even with 5w40 synthetic oil. The LPOP provides oil to the HPOP reservoir.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

If it was HPOP then wouldn't it have trouble while running and hot. This only happens when the truck is cold and has been sitting for over 8 hours. I have no base LP oil pressure for about 30 seconds then as soon as guage jumps up it fires and runs great all day. Pretty sure its leaking down but not from filter so where?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem not to long ago. For me I replaced the HPOP and i haven't had any trouble out of it since. Theses trucks take like 550 psi to crank if im not mistaken. Good luck. Those HPOP are EXPENSIVE. Definitely hurt my wallet.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

So your truck made no low pressure oil pressure on the guage for like 30 seconds but as soon as it did it fired and ran fine? That's just really got me convinced its on the low pressure oil side. It could be HPOP but I'd like to check any cheaper things before I throw that much $$$ at it. Someone mentioned a scored front cover but I don't know what they are talking about?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck was making around 110 psi of oil pressure so it wouldn't even crank. didnt touch the LPOP, just replaced the HPOP
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

RCR,

It sounds like you have drain back issues. Check to make sure you have the correct filter and the correct oil filter cap. If that is all good, then check to make sure your drain-back valve is working properly.

Of course you should know better, what are your HPO numbers? Did you check your oil filter housing fill time?

Quote:
my truck was making around 110 psi of oil pressure so it wouldn't even crank. didnt touch the LPOP, just replaced the HPOP
DRob928, Obviously your engine did crank, it just didn't start! If it didn't crank you would be doing an electrical repair, unless the engine was seized!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree with twoicebergs, you have to have Low pressure oil before you can get High Pressure oil since the LPOP feeds the oil to the HPOP resivoir.

There are several other things in the filter houseing that can be causeing this.
The plastic tower that the filter fits over can be damaged, the plastic button valve on the top of the tower can be damaged or missing. The anti drainback valve can be bad or simply a problem with the pump itself or cover.

You mentioed about the front cover it is actually the back of the low pressure pump, if it has scatches or is worn too deep you can bypass some of the pressure or if bad enough not allow any pressure to build at all.

It sounds like it is takeing longer than useuall to build low pressuer oil pressure and refill the filter.

By the way that dash gauge is more of a switch and only registers 7 psi. More of an idiot light than a gauge, the pcm doesn't even see that signal.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 11-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help guys, this is awesome. I've been working with the bulletproof diesel guys and I changed the filter and cap with new ones from ford. This didn't help so I held the drain back valve shut with a screwdriver and poured oil in and the level held. If I remove the cap and filter quickly I can see that the filter housing is still at least 1/2 full and I can watch that half bleed back. The bulletproof guys don't think it's the HPOP cause the truck runs absolutely great and strong once it's started. According to them if the HPOP reservoir had leaked the truck would cough until the air was bled out. I don't see that. I'm installing a mechanical oil pressure guage this week and will let you know what it reads. Thanks again for the help. BTW, I towed my 40" foot 5th wheel about 200 miles this weekend up some pretty good hills with no problem. Except for the 30-40 second start routine when cold it's a bad *** hauler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.