Heater cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heater cold

2006 F250 4x4 6.0 powerstroke with climate control. As truck warms up( have a chip so I am watching coolant temp) it gets to 125 degrees or so and heater starts to blow. Cold air now, used to be luke warm. as the truck warms up air is still cold until around 210 then the thermostat opens and heater blows hot. within seconds the coolant goes back to 172 degrees and heater blows cold until thermostat opens again at 205 to 210. blows hot again until cools down to 180 and does it again. usually four times it does this until the temp stabilizes around 190 and then the heater blows hot until you go down a big hill and engine cools to below 175 blows cool until temp comes back up around 190. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First thing I'd do is replace the thermostat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have twice, went from original and put in new one. I hadnt payed as much attention to the coolant temp until putting new one in. Decided the new one was suspect because of the 210 before opening so replaced it under warranty again, same results. The thermostat never opened until at least 190 before but still had warm air from heater as truck warmed up so I think it is something else. Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a similar issue...my temps stayed fairly even around 180 but couldn't get heat. Found my heater core was clogged...it's a $60 fix and really quite easy...there's a good "how to" video on YouTube. It's easy to check. Drop your glove box down and remove the heater core cover. With the truck warm feel the heater core. Mine was hot on top cold I the bottom. Or you can feel the heater hoses going to and from the core. The one with the vacuum valve is the in...it should be hot, the other should be about the same temp if not the core is clogged...I just replaced it since it was a cheap part, I guess you could back flush it though.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
your heat core is plugged and once the thermostat open wide enough the coolant is forced the the clog in the heater core but quickly looses its heat once the flow stops from the thermostat closing. You might look into a coolant filter. How are your ECT vs EOT temps by the way? Its rare to have a heater core plug without the oil cooler plugging as well but maybe you got lucky or its a newer oil cooler.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My oil cooler plugged up a few months before the heater core. I'm wishing I had replaced the heater core when I did the oil cooler/coolant-elc flush....
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think you are right on the spot. My EOT is running hotter than should and this summer my ECT started running hotter than it used to. I was getting ready to replace my oil cooler and do a EGR delete. I am getting exaust gas in coolant. I haven't ever got it too hot so hoping don't need to get into head gaskets. Thanks for info, I had my suspicions about the plugged heater core and was pretty sure about the plugged oil cooler.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your EOT is hotter than it should and your getting exhaust gas in the coolant you probably have a ruptured EGR cooler. So the exhaust gasses tend to collect in the cooling system high points, the degas bottle AND yout heater core. This basically partially vapour locks the heater core until the water pump is spinning fast enough to push out the vapour which is probably a mix of exhaust gasses and steam since there is a very low coolant flow going thru your EGR cooler and the coolant is being boiled by the exhaust gas going thru the EGR cooler. I wouldn't leave it too long as exhaust gasses in the coolant break it down and makes your coolant corrosive.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Winning DUHHH

My 6.0 did what sounds like the same thing....ended up bing bad hg's

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.