first 6.0 need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first 6.0 need some help

So I just bought my first diesel about 2 months ago 06 KR f250 with 204k when I bought it and it was a very very well maintained truck and was told by the previous owner who bought it new that all he had done was clean the egr valve at about 150k and that was it, I have done a lot of research on the 6.0 and these things can be tricky once you start having issues so here is my question, I make a 2600 mile trip every 2 months or so unloaded and have done this twice so far, the first trip it died in the middle of nowhere but ended up being the egr valve, right before my last trip I noticed when I started it I saw a bit of blue smoke bit it went away pretty quick then after about an hour of driving around I got out to load some things in the back and let it idle for about ten minutes when I took off I noticed it blowing a good amount of white smoke which it has never done before and it hasn't done it since, could this be the ficm? I also noticed on my last trip after about 21 hours of non stop driving I started to hear a very slight miss at idle and seemed that there was more engine noise then normal, I went to show my buddy after about an hour of it sitting and it fired right up and ran perfect, I've also noticed when its warm it cranks a little longer maybe 3 full seconds before it fires, I have some ideas but I've done some research and can't seem to find anyone having this same issue, any advice would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think it's your IPR valve. I had same issues and it ended up being that I had a puncture in my IPR screen. Go ahead and buy an IPR socket at a local auto parts store, unbolt degas and push out of way, unbolt and take out ficm, and then you should have access to the IPR. Pretty easy to do.. - Mike
Old 10-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I'll give that a try
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

White smoke... thats water vapor in the exhaust. Possible he needs to check his deltas for possible clogged oil cooler and possible bad egr cooler?

Im a diesel noobie soaking up as much info as I can before I go out and look for my oil burner next year. My diagnostic sense is tingling on this one, if the oil cooler hasnt be replaced recently, I think that you should have that checked out as well.

Im definitely going BPD when I get my 6.0.

Last edited by lexustech48; 10-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
KCCO!!

OP, do you have a monitor on the truck to check your delta's? If no, get one ASAP. If you're starting to blow smoke, sounds like a possible blown oil cooler/egr cooler. Not saying it's not possible, but if all the PO did was clean the EGR valve in 204K he's a lucky guy or gal. If you are having hot start issues, need to find out if you're stand pipes and dummy plugs have been replaced/updated. As Mike said too, check your IPR and make sure the filter is in tack. Good luck and get back with us.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its definitely not coolant cause I haven't lost an ounce in the 8000 miles I've driven it since I've had it and coolant would be a constant white "smoke" or steam rather then just temporary and when I pulled my egr valve and cleaned it out it was bone dry in there so its not that, its something with the hpop or a sensor I'm lead to believe, hoping its not an injector or 2, but with that being said you will love the 6.0 they are a very well built truck and as long as you are anal about maintenance it will treat you right, I absolutely love mine
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I actually almost ordered some dummy plugs and stand pipes the other day just for the heck of it cause they are pretty cheap and from what the previous owner had told me everything on the the truck is stock and I just read up on the update for them, and I have no idea what the IPR stands for or what exactly it does, I guess I must have got a good one though he told me he ran Howes with every tank of fuel and changed all filters at 5k along with the oil, well I won't be able to get to it till Wednesday at the earliest but I'll let you know if I come up with anything good
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From my understanding, IPR is the injector pressure regulator. Its that valve thats on top of the HPOP and regulates the HPO pressure.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslpwr06 View Post
So I just bought my first diesel about 2 months ago 06 KR f250 with 204k when I bought it and it was a very very well maintained truck and was told by the previous owner who bought it new that all he had done was clean the egr valve at about 150k and that was it, I have done a lot of research on the 6.0 and these things can be tricky once you start having issues so here is my question, I make a 2600 mile trip every 2 months or so unloaded and have done this twice so far, the first trip it died in the middle of nowhere but ended up being the egr valve, right before my last trip I noticed when I started it I saw a bit of blue smoke bit it went away pretty quick then after about an hour of driving around I got out to load some things in the back and let it idle for about ten minutes when I took off I noticed it blowing a good amount of white smoke which it has never done before and it hasn't done it since, could this be the ficm? I also noticed on my last trip after about 21 hours of non stop driving I started to hear a very slight miss at idle and seemed that there was more engine noise then normal, I went to show my buddy after about an hour of it sitting and it fired right up and ran perfect, I've also noticed when its warm it cranks a little longer maybe 3 full seconds before it fires, I have some ideas but I've done some research and can't seem to find anyone having this same issue, any advice would be much appreciated

You need to get yourself a monitor. most common are:

scangauge 2 its best to buy from bulletproof diesel since it has all the 6.0 codes already in it.

edge insight cs or cts for about double the price but has some goodies and extra monitoring options.

both plug into the obd2 port. it would be the single best thing for a 6.0.
once you get a monitor post the following temps under full operating temp while driving:

engine oil temp
engine coolant temp
ficm volts
ipr
icp

also good idea to post some reading when cranking.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

An edge insight was going to be next on my list of things cause it makes me slightly nervous driving all those miles not knowing what's going on under the hood, and also with the IPR would I just need the o rings and screen or the whole valve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.