Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

NO CRANK, NO START

807 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Kevin Rutherford 
#1 ·
New to the site and need some help,
Parked it in the garage last week and went to start it the next am and it... ahem let me try to spell the sounds... it tuned over about 2 revs and then started to wheez as it was turning over then wouldn't even turn over. Replaced both batteries and the starter (told you I could do that as well as the dealers can) with no change, no turn over, no sound.
The old starter got very hot (and showed a little smoke) after I tried to start it and then just held the key in the start position (that's why I decided to swaped it out initially).
Thought it was hydrauliced with coolant or maybe even fuel as the oil level was higher than it should be (leaking EGR or broken injector?). Checked the water level and it's not low, so I turned the engine backwards by hand (not fun) tried to start it again and only after I jostled the ingnition cylinder around and turned it to start quickly multiple times (in frustration) did it start.
Turned it off and tried to start it again, nothing, until I jostled the key and rapidly tuned it to start many times. I also tried starting it in Neutral and locking the stearing whell and jggling it before turning the key with no joy.
I'm thinking it's either the electric switch in the column or starter relay, also after looking at some other sites am going to check the AC compressor to see if it is siezed.
Not having much luck locating the starter relay though. Anyone know where it's located?
Maybe related and maybe not but I also noticed quite a bit of oil above the starter near a sensor (don't know what sensor it is exacly but has an orange silicone sleeve from the plug out abour 8 or so inches).
Anyone else have this happen to them or heard of this wierd problem? (insert cricket serenade:hehe:)
Thanks for any help.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.