6.0 hesitant to crank but turns over eventually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 hesitant to crank but turns over eventually

So I believe this is the 3rd time I have experienced this problem and I'm lost at what it could be. This morning when I went to crank my truck, when I turn the key, it acts just as if the batteries are dead. Lights dim but truck doesn't even attempt to turn over. Finally, on the 3rd key turn, the truck cranked and started up. Just had my batteries and starter checked, the were fine. My volts this morning were reading around 11.5v, Injector control pressure normal as well. The only thing different that I noticed is that once the truck cranked, my FICM voltage was only 41v (didn't notice what it was before crank). Usually when I start the truck, its around 45v and once the truck is warmed up it stays around 47v-49v. Truck runs fine and operates normal, nothing unusual. Anyone have any ideas?? I'm completely lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd load test the batteries (separately) with the Low Voltage reading from your FICM upon startup it would appear that you have one or both not holding an adequate charge. The FICM voltage should NEVER drop below 45.00volts even after startup. And low voltage will also cause the starter to not respond when the key is turned. I know that doesn't explain fully as to why it does respond after multiple tries other than the batteries are border line? If you DO find the batteries to be low a good way to double check is to put them on a charger and try to bring them up to a full charge and then see if your starter responds the first time you attempt to engage it. It is also important to note that if you DO find just one of the batteries to be bad you replace both at the same time....Hope this helps.......Also would be a good idea to check the alternator for output, when the vehicle is running it should be pushing 14.00volts plus.

Last edited by Mcrafty1; 11-03-2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

One other thing to check is the cable conditions themselves. Corrrosion can keep the voltage from getting from your batteries to the starter.

For example if your batts have 12v,at 800 amps, corrosion can rob several volts/amps before it gets to the starter. Leaveing you with only 11v at 600 amps. This is barely enough for the starter to engage the bendix and roll over the engine.

The repeated application of voltage can sometimes heat the wires and help overcome the corrosion and the truck will start.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like a hydro locked cylinder and failing FICM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Sounds like a hydro locked cylinder and failing FICM.
Would it turn over with a hydro locked cylinder? without clearing it first that is?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.