6.Uh0 Issues...again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.Uh0 Issues...again

Hey guys,
New to Diesels, new to the forum. Just a newbie.
Anyway, I have a 04 6.0 250 4x4. Bought it from a used dealer, (My mistake) and have been having issues with her.

1-Really hard, rough start/idle in the morning when not plugged in, accompanied by black smoke from exhaust.
-Plug it in? Is this normal for 6.0s?

2-absolutely no power on a cold go. When I just jump in and go w/out letting her warm up to Norm. Op. Temp. she has no go to her. Basically a bit more than an idle going down the road.
-Allow her to reach Norm. Op. Temp. before pushing down the road?

3-No Heat! The heater does not blow cold at Norm. Op. Temp until I get the
RPMs up, then she blows warm but not hot. Didn't know if this was common or not.
-??

4-Had to clean the EGR the other day and cranked and revved to get the soot out of the motor. When I returned under the hood I noticed coolant coming through the turbo. I know that is NOT where coolant comes from. I have not seen coolant in the oil. Whats busted?
-??
Spoke with a buddy of mine and he suggested coolant was low (For heating problem) which Im sure it would be due to blowing it all out of the turbo.

I have checked the batteries and the FICM. Batt's are good and FICM holds 49.3+ on all tests. (I have a 7 screw FICM).

I pulled the turbo pipe (? Left side of turbo reaching down to the left side of the lower radiator?) and cleaned it. She was caked in oil on the top but not bottom.

Plan to do an oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter and add RevX.
What weight oil do you guys recommend and what do you think my issues could be. Seems to me I bought a money pit. I mean, more so than normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you got coolant in your intake this is signs of a blown or leaking EGR cooler. You need to get on this asap.
As far as the start up issue's, I cured 99% of my cold morning issue's with a healthy FICM and synthetic oil. I ran t6 and it has made a BIG diffrence. Also check out something like Rev-x or archoil.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Youre gonna blow it up if you dont get the egr cooler deleted, its been compromised. The reason it has failed is likely because your oil cooler is has plugged with gunk, and needs replaced as well.

Dont drive the truck until you get it fixed.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM

Delete egr immediately accompanied by flushing and replacing with new OEM oil cooler equivalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.