Random no start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random no start.

I have a early build 2004 f250 6.0 with 167k on it. I had the black onxys head gaskets and head studs put in at 147k at around 157k it started pushing water out of the degas bottle if I drove the truck hard. So I took it easy on it for the next 10k miles. One day the truck was hard to get started. It would turn over and try to start but acted like it was only hitting on a few cylinders. I let the glow plugs cycle a few time and tried to start it again. After about 15 seconds of cranking it started and ran rough for about 30 seconds with lots of white smoke that smelled like diesel. Checked the codes and got p0272 and p0278. Thinking the head gasket has got reall bad I pulled the heads off. Had the heads checked out and both were good. Heads were replaced with 1st head gaskets.

Get the truck back together and it has a miss to it so I check the codes and I'm still getting code p0278. So I replaced the #6 injector.
After that truck runs good starts good. Drive it for about 100 miles every thing seems good. Next day go to a buddies house and let the truck sit for about 3 hours.
Try to start it and it turns over but sounds like its not hitting on all cylinders. Cycle the key a few time and turn it over for about 20 seconds and still doing the same thing. Repeated that about 10 times and truck starts up. Drove the truck to autozone and picked up a scan gauge 2. Got it hooked up so I could check the ficm, icp, ipr and sync.
Truck ran great and start right up for two days. Then tonight I go to start it and it does the no start stuff again. Looking at the scan gauge while cranking I got these readings
Icp 1500-1700 ipr 82 ficm 48 and syc 1
Once the truck started the readings went to icp 550-600 ipr 25-30 ficm 48 syc 1
It took 3 times to get it to start. it does it cold or hot.

What should I look at 1st? The icp sensor and harness is about a year old with about 10k on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Anytime someone has an intermittent issue I always think electrical problem and the 6.0 is know to have quite a few chaffing points to cause problems.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...6&d=1201892575
Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I checked the harness over really good ad didn't find anything wrong with it. Could it be my ipr sensor? It goes to 82 when this happens.
The truck should start as long as I have icp at least 500 and syn 1 and ficm 48 volts right?

Could high fuel pressure cause this? I have a gauge mounted in the top of my fuel filter housing. when I turn the key on the fuel pump comes on for about 30 seconds. With the pump on the fuel pressure goes over 100psi. When the pump shuts off it goes down to 65psi. When truck starts it goes up to 100psi again. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 AM
RollinEarly05...now

You should see 82% IPR... Something id deffinetly wrong with your fuel system. It should never get above 65 ish. What brand/type is your fuel gauge and where is it located? FYI, lots of guys have found 52-55psi to be optimal fuel pressure for performance and reliability.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mite need a ficm.it got cold here over night. In the 50's. Went out to start the truck today and the ficm volts went down to 39 volts. As the truck warmed up it worked its way back up to 45-48.
My fuel pressure gauge is mount in the lid for the fuel filter. It's a aftermarket lid. I'm not sure of the brand of gauge. I'll replace the gauge and re check the fuel pressure. I did the bb mod to the truck when I 1st got it and the fuel pressure stayed at 65-70 psi.
Thanks for the help
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Yep, change your FICM or fix it and then see if your problems persist. If you have the money I'd recommend a BPD 6 phase FICM... It will be the last one you ever buy.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got the ficm fixed. I have 48 volts now. Started the truck up a few times. While watching the scan gauge 2 and the voltage stayed at 48. Let the truck run for about 15 mins. Shut it off and let it sit about 15 mins. Went to restart it and same as before 48v ficm irp 82 icp 1500 syn 1. Turned it over for about 15 seconds with no start. Turned the key off and back on. let the glow plug light go out and tried to start it again. Cranked it for about 10-15 seconds and it started up. Puffed out lots of white smoke that smelled like diesel. Truck ran rough for about 30 seconds then cleared up. I Shut the truck off let it sit about a minute then restarted it. It cranked right up and ran smooth but it's still puffing out white smoke at a idle and breaks up like its hitting a rev limiter at 3200 Rpms. I hooked up the sct to see what the rev limiter was set at. It's was set at 4250.

I'm going to replace my fuel pressure gauge. If its still high I'm going to try to find out why. Thanks for the help
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Changed the gauge and now have 60psi of fuel pressure. Checked the codes today and got p0272 and p0278. Codes are for 4 and 6 contribution test failed. Think I may have a problem with the head or lower end. Think I'm going to move the injectors around to see if the codes fallow the injectors. The #6 injector is brand new so I don't think it's the injectors. Thanks for any help
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Took the truck apart to move the injectors around and found my ipr wiring was melted. I guess when I checked the harness I couldn't see back there. Hooked the ficm back up and had a buddy start the truck. Moved the ipr wires around and truck died. Kept the wire in that spot and had him try to start it.
It did the no start problem I've been having. Moved the wires while he was turning it over and truck started right up.
Truck runs great now and starts every time. Thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, 5 days FIXED. Nice job!! Awesome how the knowledgable one's chime in when you need them here. Day 2 Rollin hit the nail on the head. Electrical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.