hpop\oil cooler\egr delete issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hpop\oil cooler\egr delete issues

I had my hpop replaced in my 05 F350, tech said it need a new oil cooler\egr cooler. After reading this forum I asked tech if he would do an egr elete. He said he couldn't do it but if it was his truck thats what he would do. I understood and found another local shop to do the delete and oil cooler. Picked truck up from 1st shop($2k) it ran fine but was told not to drive it much until oil cooler and egr were taken care of. I ordered a egr delete kit\oil cooler and a fuel pressure regulator kit, tool truck and parts to new shop, 2 days later called and said it was done. Started right up and idled fine, slight humm from engine compartment that wasn't there before, i figured egr delte would change sound some. Drove it 3 miles it was ok at first then smell of exhaust.. parked for for a few hours the started it back up, idled fine then erratic throttle, racing, choking. Got it home with it running extremly rough and strong exhaust smell in cab. Next morning went to start it(20 degrees outside) started very rough with exaust filling engine compartment, obvious exhaust leak. Took back to shop and they say now the exhaust leak if fixed but still runs like crap. Runs fine for a little while then rough as it warms up, especially when you take foot off gas after getting up to speed. Shop is lost on what is happening, no codes, they are leaning toward oil pressure issue. Super frustrating!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do you have a monitor? You need to check icp volts, IPR duty cycle %, FICM volts.... Then report back. Check all these things with the motor cold KOEO (key on engine off) and then right after you first start it, and then again after it's completely up to operating tempature idling and last but not lest check all those thing at WOT near max rpm. FICM volts only matter when truck is cold because they normally increase in volts as the truck warms up if they are low to start with.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tech says ficm is fine and had monitor hooked up during test drive and nothing came up? I will suggest this to him in the morning. It is getting a little testy between him and I as I was the one who found the exaust leak and printed a page from the forum on how he needs to fit the turbo\y pipe properly. I'm afraid he is over his head. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

He also steamed\power washed the engine compartment to look for oil leaks, maybe that unconnected something?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Get your own monitor. Some can be bought for under $200. It's a most of all 6.0 owners! I'm talking about either a Edge CS/CTS or older insight, dashboss (iPhone compatible), torque app (android compatible), AutoEnginuity.. Etc...
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat_springs View Post
He also steamed\power washed the engine compartment to look for oil leaks, maybe that unconnected something?
I doubt it unplugged something it it's possible a sensor got moisture inside it. It might not dry out without being unplugged and blown out with air but no one can give you advice on where to proceed with more information on the engine vitals... So get a way to view the motors sensors and let us know. I can't stress enough how important a monitor is even when there isn't a problem with the motor! Get one ASAP!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat_springs View Post
It is getting a little testy between him and I as I was the one who found the exaust leak and printed a page from the forum on how he needs to fit the turbo\y pipe properly. I'm afraid he is over his head. Thanks for the input.
Doesn't sound like you are sure the mechanic you chose to do the work is familiar with the 6.0...
If he isn't, The first thing that pops into my mind is that he probably wasn't as clean as he needed to be when he did that oil cooler replacement.
If just a little piece of garbage got below the HPOP reservoir screen in the bottom of the cavity that the oil cooler sits, that junk was sucked up by the HPOP and then shot (under close to 4000psi) right into the face of the IPR valve. If this is the problem, you just need to pull the IPR and replace the screen. Don't remove the screen, clean it and put it back on, buy the rescreen kit from a Ford dealer.
If that screen has a pinhole in it, there is a chance that some garbage got into the IPR itself. That would require that the IPR be replaced.
This is where I would start.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Doesn't sound like you are sure the mechanic you chose to do the work is familiar with the 6.0...
If he isn't, The first thing that pops into my mind is that he probably wasn't as clean as he needed to be when he did that oil cooler replacement.
If just a little piece of garbage got below the HPOP reservoir screen in the bottom of the cavity that the oil cooler sits, that junk was sucked up by the HPOP and then shot (under close to 4000psi) right into the face of the IPR valve. If this is the problem, you just need to pull the IPR and replace the screen. Don't remove the screen, clean it and put it back on, buy the rescreen kit from a Ford dealer.
If that screen has a pinhole in it, there is a chance that some garbage got into the IPR itself. That would require that the IPR be replaced.
Thanks, he is taking it over to the local Ford Dealer to see if they can figure it out now. I will mention it to him. .
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
The tech now is going to replace the ipr screen, if he(Tech) is going that far should he replace the ipr itself? How much is a new IPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.