Truck running rough when only stock file loaded - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Truck running rough when only stock file loaded

Well shoot. I've got a problem and I'm not exactly sure where to go from here.

The truck has problems accelerating (it stumbles bad) if I take it back to stock via the SCT SF3. However, if I run any of the canned tunes or my custom tunes the truck runs perfectly. The loading process for a canned, custom or even the stock file has no glitches. Works perfectly.

I thought maybe I had accidentally corrupted the stock file when I tried to update the SF3 without going back to stock first. But I just had SCT Tech Support check out the stock file and they said there's no problem with it.

Any way, here's the problem:

After I take it back to stock and start it up, the truck idles perfectly although oddly I get no vane sweep like I used to when it was stock and before I ever touched it with an SCT. I let the temp get to about 130* and then I take off out of my driveway. If I accelerate out of my neighborhood (20-25mph) the truck feels fine. But, as soon as I try to get on the interstate the truck stumbles really bad and is blowing thick black smoke. If I pull over and let it idle it idles perfectly. If I try to take off again it will stumble bad. If I turn the truck off, let it sit 30 seconds and then restart, I can take off but the truck feels low on power and is blowing black smoke but not as bad. Once I get to my destination and if I have to stop at a stop sign or stop light and then take off again the truck wants to stumble but not as bad although it's still blowing black smoke really bad.

What I notice when the truck stumbles is the VGT% does not change from 85%. But if I turn the truck off and then back on and then take off again the VGT% will change. I also notice at idle it's a solid 85% with no vane sweep.

And so I'm not entirely sure why it has no problems what so ever when running any of the canned or custom tunes but does so horribly back on the stock tune. What does a canned or custom tune hide that the stock tune doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 AM

Ok, how about this; What if the EGR wasn't working? On the canned and custom tunes you can turn it off but with the stock tune, what happens if the EGR doesn't open? I have checked for codes and there are none so I don't think it's EGR related but thought I'd ask anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Just to follow up on this; I think it must have been a computer learning thing. The next time I went back to stock it did the same exact thing again. But this time I didn't go back to a custom/canned tune right away. I left it on the stock setting until yesterday afternoon (about 6 days) and the problem cleared up and the truck ran fine on the second day until I went back to a custom tune about 6 days later. And the whole time the EGR and everything was working fine. I guess the computer must take a while to relearn and I just wasn't waiting long enough for it to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.