Massive Smoke, Loss of power, limp mode, NO CEL... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Massive Smoke, Loss of power, limp mode, NO CEL...

Ok so here is the chain of events... Leaving work around 5:15pm temp outside is about 45F and I start up the truck and let it idle for about 5min. I take off up the road set cruise to 60MPH on flat ground go about 6 miles up the road and then there is sudden loss of power, massive smoke coming out of exhaust. take off cruise, try to give the pedal some throttle, nothing feels like limp mode. So I turn off the engine and coast to an approach (side road to field). There is NO CEL (check engine light)!!! So I wait to turn it over for bout 2-3 min. I turn it over and still lots of smoke no CEL and no power with some throttle. Turn off again, I wait longer, open hood and look for a boost tube that is blown, oil, anything... Can't find anything that would cause limp mode and no power and a ton of smoke out exhaust. So I close the hood hop in the cab, dig out the AAA card and think well let's try one more time. I fire it up and everything is back to normal! no smoke, no weird idle, I have power, I rev it and it seems normal, no CEL!

I heard of a similar story but it was related to another 6.0L, where the EGR was stuck open or some odd position and the very same thing happened, but that person had his intake cleaned professionally and there were pebble like build up that was causing the EGR not to move and it was similar.

I just had an oil change and fuel filter change (both filters). This oil change I put in Hot Shot Secret. I run Stanadyne in the tank all the time. Just not sure what it was that caused the smoke and loss of power.

Any thoughts?

Cole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What color smoke?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.