whits end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whits end

A little history here. I have a 2003 6.0 that will feel like it is choking on the line and will continue to do so from right off idle to whenever it feels like clearing out. When it does this I will get a blueish white smoke out of the tailpipe, it also will not rev past 3000 rpm when this is occuring. Once it clears up it will sit you back in your seat and take off. It has a new Garret Powermax stage 1 turbo due to the exhaust turbine being chewed off. Newer EGR Valve, FICM repaired 6months ago and total reflash at the same time. No power adders, converter has been deleted, it has around 110000 miles on it. The coolant jug stays full. I was watching the scanner the other day and I did not have any change in map psi, so I removed the hose and checke it, it was fine. Ran my psi tester to the nipple on the intake and I get about 12 psi max out of it. I know it should be higher than this. If I disconnect the map sensor electronically it runs fantastic, it will burn the tires and run great. I upgraded to the blue spring on the fuel filter housing, replaced the map sensor, now it changes with pressure where it did not before. I did a recent oil change and added rev-x, no change, Fuel pressure is at 65 psi steady where as before it was at 55 psi and would bounce. I am thinking that the intake could possibly be partially blocked? I will have a boost gauge that reads higher so that I can check the pressure again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How is your ICP sensor? Leaking sensors can do some weird stuff.

Also the 03s need to learn the VGT vane position before they'll run correctly. With the vehicle warmed up and idling in park it will cycle the vanes for a few minutes to learn different MAF/MAP readings based on VGT position. Is it setting any DTCs?

I had an 03 recently that was doing something similar to what you describe, I never did get a chance to figure it out because they needed the truck back too soon.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My icp voltage and psi stays right with what is commanded. I have done the vgt relearn, this condition was present before the turbo replacement. I am getting a P006, P132b and P0401. I removed the egr valve and powerbraked it and I was getting smoke out of the egr hole so I think the passages are clear. I hooked up a psi gauge to the map nipple and am getting around 22lbs of boost. I have run the cylinder contribution test while driving and it stays steady none of the cylinders drop out. I ran the buzz and glow plug tests without failure also. I am using the snap-on verus scanner to test with. I am a professional technician but work on gassers all day.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took it to my diesel guy this evening and left it with him. He called me a little later saying that when he started it it took longer than it should. So he is thinking that maybe there is a bad injector top seal somewhere. It is just his initial thought he is going to look at more and see if he can come up with anything more concrete than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.