Really confused, need help! temporary no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really confused, need help! temporary no start

Hey everyone, I could really use some help here as I dont have any confidence in my truck ATM (and its my Daily driver)

Here are the sequence of events (that I am aware of) leading up to the issue.

No issues at all since buying the truck. I did however do an EGR delete about a month after buying it, close to a year ago. I have not touched anything on the truck for a long time.. probably 8-10 months. I do regular 5k oil changes and 10k fuel filter changes.

So I drove about 25 miles and got gas. I left the ignition on (eng off) during fueling. This bonked my fuel gauge.

I then drove about a mile to a parking lot and during that 1 mile drive I went WOT (which I do occasionally) for about 10 seconds then coasted and went slow for about half a mile with the truck idling so as to let the turbo cool before shut down.

I came back to the truck about 1.7 hours later and NO START. I messed with it a bit, unplugged my batts, checked the emergency fuel shutoff switch and replugged the batts. This fixed my fuel guage, but still no start.

I was suspecting bad fuel so I drained the water trap and observed a light GREEN tinted fuel.... The kind people who stopped to help were convinced I put in gasoline. I am certain however I did not as a return trip to the gas station verified the green fuel came from the diesel fuel pump... On a whim we also went to another station and the same fuel color was observed. IMHO fuel issue eliminated.

When I returned to the truck, it started but not with any authority. it idled for about 30 seconds and then died not to be restarted again.

Towed home.

I did some research and set up my scan guage II to read ICP, IPR , FICM v and FICM Sync

Went out to truck (now cold) and it started but died shortly after. I watched the Scanguage and the FICM values were good ( so I will not reference them again)

After another attempted start i saw ~85% ICP and the IPR came up enough to start... however It again began to dies as the ICP fell off to 0.

So at this point I am thinking either the IPR or ICP sensor is bad. I came inside to read up but ended up going out to the truck because I wanted to write some hard numbers down first. I cranked it and it started up with authority! It continued to run so I let it get up to operating temp.

These are the numbers I recorded

@ cranking ICP reached 500 IPR 85%

@ idle ICP 640 IPR 23

@ 1500 RPM ICP 850 IPR 850

I was able to shut down and restart multiple times with no problems and the same numbers observed... This is disturbing to say the least!

What do you make of this and what should I do? Is this an IPR going bad or an IPS sensor?

I could just pull both and inspect them, but Id rather have some input before tearing into it.

Your time is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since this was a random thing that seems to have fixed itself it would be only a guess at the cause. Nearly impossible with any degree of accuracy. It could have been anything.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:39 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Check the pigtails on the IPR and icp sensors. They are know to cause issues. Also, your last numbers says icp 850 IPR 850... Did you mean IPR 85%? If so, then you have a HPO leak somewhere.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

what yr/ specific model of truck? mods, miles etc...

if its 03-04 pretty comon hpop leak is : blank/dummy plugs and the stand pipe

05 and up stc fitting and stand pipe.

there is a good write up on using a homemade air fitting to test your high pressure oil system for leaks too trying to find it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.