Can Turbo leak cause low compression on cylinders? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Turbo leak cause low compression on cylinders?

We purchased a 2006 F250 4x4 about a year ago with only 102k miles and little knowledge of the extent of the 6.0l problems. With that being said, we quickly learned that we had egr and oil cooler problems. Truck spent the first month at the Diesel shop, we studded it, deleted the egr, replaced oil cooler, added sct livewire ts. Also replaced updated standpipes and dummy plugs. Early this year became apparent that we had some injectors failing. Finally got those replaced, replaced oil and flushed the coolant. We now have rolling smoke at idle, exhaust leak behind the turbo and plugged ebp sensor/tube.

We have put the truck on a scanner and it shows that at a cold start compression is good on all cylinders, but as the truck reaches normal operating temp, the turbo starts stutter and act like its choking, the compression starts to drop in the cylinders. Can this be just a blown seal? Or does it sound like it is more? Turbo rebuild/replace? Head gaskets?

Last night after getting it put back together and running to town for some fuel, I sat in the driveway letting it cool down. As it started to cool, there was a loud knocking that was not present while driving. We have started truck today to place on scanner, still no codes, lots of smoke (mixture of colors), oil level and coolant level still the same, no knocking noise.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated? Wish there was an easy button that would let us know that replacing seals on the turbo would fix it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OP

I forgot to mention that we upgraded injectors to Warren Diesel 155 stock nozzles. The turbo is currently stock as well. We have about 100 miles on the new injectors.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Sounds like a bad injector or seal. Did you torque down the injector to spec? If not they will lift causing fuel to dump straight in the cylinder can cause a knocking noise. Can you record how the truck runs from under the hood and exhaust and post? Maybe hearing it for ourselves we can help diagnose your issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to post a video tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

I would think if the seal was bad in the turbo you could just remove the down pipe and check for oil coming from the exhaust turbine. If there is no oil you are probably burning oil or excess fluid in the cylinder.

Knocking noise is not good, I had a similar issue after my stud job because I did not torque the injectors to spec they lifted about 1000 miles after the job. It smoked like a freight train.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@Bluedemon - I see in your signature that you were looking at going with a MTW Stage 1 turbo? Have you done this yet or do you have any knowledge on the reliability or warranty of them?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a video that I took this morning:

2006 Ford F250 6.0l powerstroke - YouTube
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse6.0Buyer View Post
@Bluedemon - I see in your signature that you were looking at going with a MTW Stage 1 turbo? Have you done this yet or do you have any knowledge on the reliability or warranty of them?
No not yet, but Adrian( mtw) has done a lot of r&d on these vgt turbos and have followed Adrian since he introduced the durastoke back in 2011. Everything I have read from several different members reassures me that he stands behind his work. Saying all this I do not know exactly how long the warranty is but I know he stands behind what he makes. If you want more info contact windrunner he works for mtw and he give you more insight on what they offer.
It really depends on what your goals are as far as hp and tq.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

I know you don't want to hear this but that looks like coolant, does it smell like burnt oil or diesel? If not you need to put a gauge inline with your coolant over flow line and see if you are building pressure in your coolant system. When you take the degas cap off of the coolant reservoir does it have a lot of pressure?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It doesn't smell like coolant, smells more like oil. How would the coolant be getting in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.