04 F250 coolant loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 F250 coolant loss

Have a 2004 F250 6.0L. Problems started at about 170K.
Coolant was leaking. Found cracks in expansion tank and replaced. Had to add more coolant a few days after. Had the system pressure checked and all hoses, etc. checked. Thought the problem was solved. Went a week with no sign of loss.
Took the truck on vacation and drove about 600 miles the first day. Next morning checked coolant and bottle was very low. Added almost a gallon. Drove another 400 or so miles with just a slight coolant loss. Will tell majority of drive was just to cross Texas and was very hot. Seemed too lessen as we got into cooler areas.
Spent almost a week in the mountains with limited driving, coolant level stayed where it should. Decided to drive straight through on way home. Checked coolant occasionally after meal breaks. Seemed fine. After getting home checked coolant next day and bottle was almost empty. Had to add over a gallon.
Coolant loss seems to only happen while being driven especially on high mileage drives. No leakage on ground at all, no white smoke, no overheating, runs smooth. Have noticed a few white spots on top of bottle periodically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
Have a 2004 F250 6.0L. Problems started at about 170K.
Coolant was leaking. Found cracks in expansion tank and replaced. Had to add more coolant a few days after. Had the system pressure checked and all hoses, etc. checked. Thought the problem was solved. Went a week with no sign of loss.
Took the truck on vacation and drove about 600 miles the first day. Next morning checked coolant and bottle was very low. Added almost a gallon. Drove another 400 or so miles with just a slight coolant loss. Will tell majority of drive was just to cross Texas and was very hot. Seemed too lessen as we got into cooler areas.
Spent almost a week in the mountains with limited driving, coolant level stayed where it should. Decided to drive straight through on way home. Checked coolant occasionally after meal breaks. Seemed fine. After getting home checked coolant next day and bottle was almost empty. Had to add over a gallon.
Coolant loss seems to only happen while being driven especially on high mileage drives. No leakage on ground at all, no white smoke, no overheating, runs smooth. Have noticed a few white spots on top of bottle periodically.
The actual fill line is suppose to be about an 1/8" below the minimum mark. If you are overfilling the degas bottle, it is blowing it out of the cap. That is what your white spots are. There was a TSB from Ford and it involves putting a sticker on the degas bottle to show the correct fill level.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Started having white and black smoke when I take off from a stop. Truck tends to stutter some then smoke then takes off. Once on the highway, truck runs smooth. No evidence of coolant in oil or oil in coolant.
I've read through a lot of the posts here. Think it may be EGR? Looked at it and see a lot of gunk around it.

Question is how much am I looking at to replace it? I'm good with gas engines but this is my first diesel and after 4 1/2 years I still don't feel smart enough to work on it except basics.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just replaced my EGR Valve last week and cost me $284 for the valve. It fixed the black smoke and lack of power issues. However now I am having antifreeze loss. I cannot see any leaks anywhere. I have to add a little antifreeze every morning. My bottle has the new sticker on it for the fill line and I keep it at the min mark. I drove 380 miles yesterday, no overheating and this morning the bottle is empty. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same issue with my 04. I can't find any leaks and but yet every time I drive it I use anywhere from 1 to 3 gallons of coolant. I took all of my programmers and chips off of the truck and it did well on the last trip. Now it runs like a shopping cart but it runs! We will see.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took my truck in finally last Thursday. Not good but could have been worse. Bad EGR, cooler, etc. Picked it up today. Cost ran close to $2800 for repairs. Sounds good and runs good, so I'm happy but poor.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
Took my truck in finally last Thursday. Not good but could have been worse. Bad EGR, cooler, etc. Picked it up today. Cost ran close to $2800 for repairs. Sounds good and runs good, so I'm happy but poor.
Ouch...don't tell me that. I hope that my problem is not the same as yours. Would this be covered under the 100k warranty?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't know. I have 173K on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.