Severe voltage drain, suspect GPCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Severe voltage drain, suspect GPCM

Hi, 2004 S.D. 6.0; 129k mi. Replaced alt, starter, batts aren't a year old. FICM is 48v. Would like to know... if I start it, then unplug the GPCM connectors, will it hurt anything? The connector kit from the dealer is $200... that I just don't have right now. I need to isolate the voltage drain source. I'm not a mechanic, but need to fix my truck. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is it killing it over night?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

It's killing it in a couple hours! My thought is to get it running (both batteries are disconnected and charging now) , at night, with the headlights on, then to unplug the GPCM, and see if the headlights get brighter when the GPCM is unplugged... but I don't want to hurt any other electronics while doing this. If it only affects the GPCM, then, I don't think it will.... but, I don't know these things like you guys do.

Last edited by stingray615; 10-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Mod Newbie

Just charge your batteries fully then unplug the module and let it sit for a couple-3 hours. Plug them back in and see if it starts. I worked on an 06 that would kill the batteries over night. (I wasn't working on it for that reason). I didn't know how to check the module but the owners Father was an electrical engineer and figured it out. Installed new module and all is good.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm kinda leanin towards a new module. They're unplugged now. I'll try that tomorrow. New module is less than $200, I think. Thank you for the quick response, have a great week, will let you know what the problem was!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray615 View Post
Yeah, I'm kinda leanin towards a new module. They're unplugged now. I'll try that tomorrow. New module is less than $200, I think. Thank you for the quick response, have a great week, will let you know what the problem was!
No problem. You do the same.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Okay. here's what I found today: When the GPCM is disconnected, the battery retains it's charge... and it'll start (spins over great) and run. I found a new one at a Ford Dealership in Ohio $30 cheaper than anywhere else... it ended up being @ $135 incl shipping. It pays to shop!

The drain is now narrowed down to the GPCM and the GPs themselves. The manual is detailed pretty nice, showing a pin-out, but it's not showing what the GPs are supposed to ohm out at when unplugged at the GPCM harness.. I'm guessing it'll be a low value, if anyone knows, please let me know, so I can test them while I'm waiting for the new module.

Hopefully a scan tool is in the near future so I can see what codes it's putting out. Looking at the AE SP03 because it can do these diagnostics, but at $359, it'll have to wait till next month. The Edge CTS looks good too, but costs more than the AE. Some advice here would be appreciated... thank you!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray615 View Post
Okay. here's what I found today: When the GPCM is disconnected, the battery retains it's charge... and it'll start (spins over great) and run. I found a new one at a Ford Dealership in Ohio $30 cheaper than anywhere else... it ended up being @ $135 incl shipping. It pays to shop!

The drain is now narrowed down to the GPCM and the GPs themselves. The manual is detailed pretty nice, showing a pin-out, but it's not showing what the GPs are supposed to ohm out at when unplugged at the GPCM harness.. I'm guessing it'll be a low value, if anyone knows, please let me know, so I can test them while I'm waiting for the new module.

Hopefully a scan tool is in the near future so I can see what codes it's putting out. Looking at the AE SP03 because it can do these diagnostics, but at $359, it'll have to wait till next month. The Edge CTS looks good too, but costs more than the AE. Some advice here would be appreciated... thank you!
AE will pay for itself the first time you use it. They should test anywhere from .1 to 2 ohms.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I DONT MEAN TO ALARM YOU BUT PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO THIS SOON. Replace all your glow plugs anyways once you put new gpcm in and this is why. If the glow plugs where on for a 2 to 3 hour period and this went on for a couple of days they have become what we call glass they have changed metal state and become brittle meaning its only a matter of time before the break off and fod out a piston. Please change them!!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
I DONT MEAN TO ALARM YOU BUT PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO THIS SOON. Replace all your glow plugs anyways once you put new gpcm in and this is why. If the glow plugs where on for a 2 to 3 hour period they have become what we call glass they have changed metal state and become brittle meaning its only a matter of time before the break off and fod out a piston. Please change them!!
I did not know they would do that. Nice info Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.