FICM/INJECTOR - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM/INJECTOR

OK question for you guys. I have a bad #2 injector so I'm getting ready to pull all 8 and send them to warren for a rebuild. Anyways as I started the truck to turn it around and park it in a position to pull the injectors my edge warning alarm was going off for the FICM voltage, it was at 38.5. So I let it idle and the voltage finally started to rise and reached 46.5. Now I'm curious would a bad injector cause this voltage loss in the FICM or is it just a coincidence that I need a new FICM...it sucks cause its more money...but if I need a new FICM what do you recommend...I want to bullet proof my truck for fuel economy and more horse power...so in other words a nice split between the 2. I'm gonna start running 5w-40 synthetic with rev-x additive with fuel bomb hellfire as an additive for the fuel which after all the awesome PM's about the oil I would like to get y'all's opinion or fact on this

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILOR97 View Post
OK question for you guys. I have a bad #2 injector so I'm getting ready to pull all 8 and send them to warren for a rebuild. Anyways as I started the truck to turn it around and park it in a position to pull the injectors my edge warning alarm was going off for the FICM voltage, it was at 38.5. So I let it idle and the voltage finally started to rise and reached 46.5. Now I'm curious would a bad injector cause this voltage loss in the FICM or is it just a coincidence that I need a new FICM...it sucks cause its more money...but if I need a new FICM what do you recommend...I want to bullet proof my truck for fuel economy and more horse power...so in other words a nice split between the 2. I'm gonna start running 5w-40 synthetic with rev-x additive with fuel bomb hellfire as an additive for the fuel which after all the awesome PM's about the oil I would like to get y'all's opinion or fact on this

More than likely your failing FICM took out your injector. Yes, definitely switch to a good synthetic 5w40 oil. Rev-x also works great to cure stiction, but if the injector has already gone south Rev-x will only help if the issue is on the oil side. You should also check fuel pressure. If it's too low (below 45 psi @ wot) injectors will be damaged on the fuel side. Rev-x won't fix this kind of failure.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd get your alternator and batteries checked out. The OEM alternator is undersized for our trucks. Also good idea is to upgrade the battery cables to something like 1/0 and clean your grounds down to bare metal. Low voltage going to the FICM is THE biggest killer of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I'd get your alternator and batteries checked out. The OEM alternator is undersized for our trucks. Also good idea is to upgrade the battery cables to something like 1/0 and clean your grounds down to bare metal. Low voltage going to the FICM is THE biggest killer of them.

Exactly ^^^. It's an unfortunate trickle down effect.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Ok thanks guys..truck is gonna be tore apart for awhile now anyways and will look into those issues as I am pulling all 8 injectors and having them sent to Warren for rebuild. I will check these other issues too. So you all DO think I have a bad FICM now? FICM was 47-48 till this injector went south
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

oh and just to add one thing my monitor is showing approx 13.8V so that should mean the Altenator and batteries should be ok right???
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILOR97 View Post
oh and just to add one thing my monitor is showing approx 13.8V so that should mean the Altenator and batteries should be ok right???
Not necessarily. Most important is what the voltage is under LOAD. An alternator can still produce proper voltage at low loads even with some bad diodes but put a heavier load on it and the voltage dies off fast. A bad battery can still indicate proper voltage but if its all sulfated up then under load it craters.

Last edited by Term3; 09-27-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Term3 with that being said do I need to pull the batteries and go get them checked and same with the alternator. I just got the driver side injectors pulled and just finished placing the order for BPD FICM...this is hurting the pocket book...lol...I wanna know where my bail out is..hahaha

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Yes, you could get your alternator and batteries load tested but if the batteries are few years old personally I'd buy a good pair of batteries such as Odyssey and a higher amp alternator because the OEM is plain and simple not even close to doing the job IMO. What you spend now will save you big time down the road.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

How high of an amp alternator? Cause darn it with all this money I'm spending on injectors and FICM and everything else I don't want to be doing it again for a long time...lol...its why I went with warren rebuild and BPD FICM...lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.