Warm weather hard starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warm weather hard starting

I am brand new to the diesel world so please bare with me. It is completely stock. Sometimes not all the time but sometimes when it is cold it takes extra cranks. It starts cranking really fast and seems to maintain decent cranking speed. But them it sounds super funny. Almost like a weak battery and then when it starts to start it kinda chugs then starts. Idles fine runs fine. Not sure where to start. The battery's were put in by previous owner on 12/12 but they are econo starts. Could it be batteries not producing enough cranking amps even though they are pretty new?
Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

First thing first have your batteries load tested, also check your FICM voltage, what year of truck is it? Also moniter ICP while cranking if it takes forever to build 600 Psi than it's probably a high pressure oil leak.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Truck is an 06 with 95k on it. How would I check the ficm?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

You can either look at it on a scan tool or check it manually with a DVOM. If you don't have access to any of that go to your local auto parts place and buy a scan gauge II, there cheap and worth gold to moniter a 6.0. Does the truck do this all the time or just after sits for a couple hours? Also are you running a factory oil filter with the factory cap? The aftermarket ones like NAPA and others that have a taller cap cause all sorts of issues specially when somebody doesn't know better and puts a short filter in it. Being your truck is an 06 it's could be the STC fitting or the stand pipes & dummy plugs. But you'd have to air test it to be sure which one is the culprit. But first we gotta find out what it's missing to fire.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM

I have no idea what kind of oil and filter are on it. It's whatever I got it with from the dealer. Does it every once in awhile. Not even every time after sitting.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

If the dealer did it I'm sure it's right you never know with those guys though. If it's not doing constantly every time with a common denominator than it very we'll could be your batteries or your FICM. First load test your batteries, then check your FICM and so on down the list we go. We're here to help you every step of the way but hard starts can be caused by a lot of things on a 6.0. We gotta know details before we can say for what it is.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Friz186 is right on the mark. The only thing that I would throw in here is as it gets colder your 6.0 is gonna grow to HATE that plain ole dino oil that the dealer has in there. Do yourself and your truck a favor and try some Rotella t5 or better yet t6. Truck will start up in the cold sooooooooo much better!
And Id also second getting a monitor. Right now your truck has no way of talking to you. Its like trying to use your computer with out a screen to look at. Ive got the Edge cts. It is spendy ($400) but well worth it.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 PM

How is the scanguageII? I want to get a monitor but wasn't sure what route to go? I do love the price point though. Just now I let my truck sit for probably 4ish hours and it started right up. It's very random. Just started doing it out of the blue. Ill probably be able to get my batteries load tested Friday at the soonest but that will be my first step. Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it as I have no one to really turn to!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Well I found time yesterday to go down to o'riellys and have them test batteries. Batteries tested good. Starter tested good but alternator tested bad... Could that be my issue? Also I picked up a scanguageII and it is pretty cool!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Did you buy a new alternator? If it tested bad change it before it takes your batteries and FICM with it, if it hasn't already. The alternator probably isn't going to fix your problem. It might have caused a FICM problem though. Get your scan gauge hooked up and while it's taking forever to start watch your FICM voltage should be no less than 47 volts. If it's around 46 volts than change your FICM. Also watch your ICP pressure the truck needs a minimum of 550-600 psi to start, it should build rather quickly. If not you've got a leak somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.