White-grey exhaust smoke for a few moments. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White-grey exhaust smoke for a few moments.

I noticed some white smoke for a few minutes the other day and was wondering if I should be concerned.

The truck is an 06 with just under 90K. I have an SCT live wire from IDP. I am running the street tune, and other than a coolant filter the engine and trans are stock. I use the SCT for engine monitoring and my ECT and EOT delta averages 8-10 degrees. I usually run a B20 blend fuel from a reputable station with a high amount of turnover.

The other day I was leaving the beach after being parked for an hour or so and noticed the exhaust was a white-grey color as I left the parking lot under load. The ECT/EOT was around 150 degrees so it wasn't quite warmed up, but being a 6.0 I immediately started to freak out a little. I kept watching the exhaust for the ride home and every time I would pull away from a light I'd get the usual puff of all black smoke as I pulled away and the turbo came in. It also hasn't done it since, but I haven't had a chance to recreate the scenario above (the surf's been pretty flat!)

Any thoughts as what to look for? None of the searches I did seemed to match up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Run truck up to temp then pull egr valve check to see if there is liquid in there. Could be your egr cooler failing. Did it smell sweet?
Also consider HG.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem with my 6.0 and it worried me too. I also have the SCT tuner from IDP. I read some about it before and the best answer i could find was because of the excess fuel from the tune, and injector stiction becoming a bigger issue with more fuel until the engine warms up. If i returned it to stock the smoke went away so and i have an egr delete so i don't think its that, at least in my case....and really hope its not HG's Still haven't found out for sure what the issue is though so i am curious what other ppl have to say.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by somthin333 View Post
I have the same problem with my 6.0 and it worried me too. I also have the SCT tuner from IDP. I read some about it before and the best answer i could find was because of the excess fuel from the tune, and injector stiction becoming a bigger issue with more fuel until the engine warms up. If i returned it to stock the smoke went away so and i have an egr delete so i don't think its that, at least in my case....and really hope its not HG's Still haven't found out for sure what the issue is though so i am curious what other ppl have to say.
Compression test is none way to determine if its your HGs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't smell anything, but it wasn't steam since it lingered in the air for a few seconds before fading away (not evaporating). I also just changed the oil and it looked fine. The coolant color is normal as well. My buddy is a TDI guy and said it sounded like an injector balance issue. I've been driving the truck all week and haven't noticed anything abnormal with the gauges or exhaust smoke.

I think I'm just going to keep an eye on it for the time being.

Does anyone have any idea what PID's I should monitor for the injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.