Hey guys, I FINALLY got some monitoring hardware so I can now finally start to diagnose any issues with the rig! I try to drive it for a good half hour or more once a week to keep the battery charged up and everything flowing well, but other than that it isn't driven a whole lot since it's not my rig and was only really purchased to tow a trailer that the parents haven't yet purchased.
I purchased the OBDLink MX and use Torque Pro on my phone, as well as the OBDLink software on my laptop, for monitoring.
So far, I have discovered the usual issues that come with a totally unmodified 6.0 in average condition; namely, the inadequate charging system, possible weak ficm, and possible turbo issues.
Findings so far:
-Temp delta between oil and water is always within 1*-5*, so the oil cooler is g2g.
-I will put together a pressure gauge to test the head gaskets soon, although there are no signs hinting at a failure.
-HPOP runs up to 3000+ and stays steady through the rpm range during hard accel.
-Didn't see any PID for fuel pressure, but I had problems with the Torque Pro app after the first time I used it, so I'll re-check when I get that figured out. I'll also check to see if the dot is present on the fuel pressure regulator housing to see if the blue spring was installed.
-Voltage drops to high 9s during cranking, 11s during cold running, and low 13s after it's warmed up. The drop to 9v during cranking makes me think that the battery might be weak, or at least just discharged, but I had driven the truck for a good 45min the day before, so I'll trickle charge it and then load test it to make sure it is still good. If not, that goes on the list of things to fix.
-FICM voltage is 44-46 most of the time, whether cold or hot, and dropped to 43 immediately after cranking cold, then slowly rose back to 45 after about 45 sec. I'll be doing the big 3, and after I diagnose the battery side of the equation and do the big 3, I'll re-check the FICM voltage. As it stands, it starts up a bit rough after a night of cool-down, and it took about 4 sec to get it to catch when I started it up in 35* weather the other day. It lopes for about 2-3 sec and then smooths out every time though, so start up isn't obnoxiously bad by any means.
-Threw a P0299 code the other day when I was "spiritedly" exercising the vanes, and they stuck wide open.
I got them to un-stick after shifting down and up and applying different amounts of throttle. I re-created the same issue with the same circumstances a few days later, fixing the issue a couple minutes later. During normal driving, there is no problem whatsoever. It has only happened under relatively long full throttle accelerations, so I have a feeling it probably just has a coked/sooted up unison ring, but I'll have to disassemble it to be sure.
So, that's all for now, I'll report back as I get more info and when I can convince the parents to hand me the credit card to start working on it heh heh