losing intercooler pipe clamps HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
losing intercooler pipe clamps HELP

04 F 250
Banks 6 gun set on 2
K&N filter
Stock motor guts except for 06 EGR and coolers installed

I have started to notice that if I get on it a little then let up for a turn when I hit the throttle again it kind of takes a few seconds before it gets going again. The turbo is not spooling up as it normally does. Once it does the truck runs great. I was getting some parts for my 65 and turned right onto the hwy, gave it 3/4 throttle and a loud boom then a whistle....
Pulled off the road, the truck is still running and popped the hood. The clamp for the drivers side intercooler pipe is gone and the pipe is hanging loose from the rubber sleeve. The sleeve is still clamped to the intercooler though.
Limp the truck home the 3 miles slowly...
Just put a new clamp on and took a test drive. The same hesitation as described above and when I punched it it blew the same clamp off.
Any ideas????

Really don't have the money to take this anywhere with a new baby in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannutz View Post
04 F 250
Banks 6 gun set on 2
K&N filter
Stock motor guts except for 06 EGR and coolers installed

I have started to notice that if I get on it a little then let up for a turn when I hit the throttle again it kind of takes a few seconds before it gets going again. The turbo is not spooling up as it normally does. Once it does the truck runs great. I was getting some parts for my 65 and turned right onto the hwy, gave it 3/4 throttle and a loud boom then a whistle....
Pulled off the road, the truck is still running and popped the hood. The clamp for the drivers side intercooler pipe is gone and the pipe is hanging loose from the rubber sleeve. The sleeve is still clamped to the intercooler though.
Limp the truck home the 3 miles slowly...
Just put a new clamp on and took a test drive. The same hesitation as described above and when I punched it it blew the same clamp off.
Any ideas????

Really don't have the money to take this anywhere with a new baby in the house.
Pull the boot off, wash it with dawn soap throughly. Place it back on, clamp down. The reason why it won't stay now is because it is covered in oil.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM

but would the oil cause the clamps to break?? I have not found either one when they broke off. Wasn't sure if the cooler can get clogged?? Or maybe the turbo vanes sticking would cause such a backpressure??
Thanx
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The clamps useually dont break they run away when the boot blows off. The oil film will keep the clamp from evenly distributeing clamp load. Cac ruptuer does occur but kinda rare, too much oil flowing thru the cooler will coat the tubes dust will then stick to the tubes and cause restriction.

The factory boots were infamous for blowing off they were made of akinda flimsy fire hose kind of material, oil saturation would weaken the material and it would also tear and split.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM

thanks for the info. I will clean them up and try again
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM

Another trick you can try is after cleaning spray the pipe & inside hose with cheap hair spray, let dry some and reassemble.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep second that, I took my pipes off when I was doing the keyhole gasket and FPR spring and shortly after reassembling I lost the upper pipe and unfortunately the clamp hit my hood so hard it dented it up from the inside (small dent but still). I very thoroughly cleaned the pipe and the inside of the boot and put it back on and I've had 10's of thousands of trouble free miles since. I know from working on sport compact cars before that the hairspray trick works great too. goes on slimey and dries sticky.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 PM

I've blown the hose off my turbo too many times to count. Maybe I'm lucky but I have always found it, some wheres under the hood. never seen 1 break yet. now if it was stupidly overtightened breaking is a possibility. brake clean then hairspray. there certainly is a possibility that you also have a turbo vane issue, but without a boost gauge, it's fairly hard to tell. If it is over boosting, and the hose is glues on, there is one less weak link to fail before something bursts. Hopefully only a boot, if sticking is an issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.