2005 F-250 Harley Diesel LEMON!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2005 F-250 Harley Diesel LEMON!!

Hey guys, I am new to this forum as I just bought a used 2005 F-250 Harley Diesel with around 125k miles. I test drove it and everything seemed good. All the electronic components worked (radio/CD, A/C, power windows, etc) and the exterior was in good condition (just a minor dent/scratch on the upper right rear of the bed and no rust under wheel wells, etc). It was a smaller dealership and I drove it to the mechanic that had the truck checked out. The mechanic said they did like the egr delete and installed some bearings or something because it previously had wobble. Also, the engine light is always ON because they said it's due to the egr delete. I did some research and found out that it's true and can use SCT tuner to remove it (that's fine). The truck drove great, was decently smooth and no problems with brakes too.

-According to past history, though, it is a lemon. What I would like to know from experienced 6.0L PS turbo diesel drivers is if this is that big of deal?? Can a vehicle or truck with past lemon history be fixed or changed around to be better (even though it may carry that lemon title) and not have negative impact on current condition?? Or, in other words, can a lemon be fixed, but only downside is in the past history report? I am not planning on reselling it so I don't care about past history or resale value. I am going to just drive it to the ground and hopefully put on 300-350K+ miles if possible. Everything about the truck is good when I drove it and even the mechanic said it was good plus I don't mind shelling some money out to get some tuners or gauges. Like I said, I am going to keep this for longevity (no towing or anything, maybe occasional off-roading). Should I be worried?? Thank you for the help..much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought a lemon or as ford called it a "reacquired" vehicle back in 07. It was a 05 cclb 4x4 dually lariat with the 6.0. It had 20k miles on it when I bought it. They gave me a good warranty and I drove it for three years until the warranty ran out with 0 issues. I then did a total bulletproof job on it and drove, pulled, even raced the dog **** out of that truck for another couple years. I just sold it a month ago for what I believe was really good money.

What does all this mean. I would do it again if I could find another one. The big issue is why was it issued a lemon status? Mine was for the engine. That was an easy fix. If it was an electrical issue I would be much more scared.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
But why buy a truck that needs $5-$8k dropped in it to "fix it"? IMO I won't touch a 6.0 with a 10' stick and I'm a ford truck guy. Yeah once it's "fixed"
It may be a good truck but I won't be the one spending the extra cash to fix it. If I want a 6.0 buy a fixed one already.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didnt drop $5-8k to 'fix' my truck?? Now I also do my own work in my driveway, but most issues can be fixed for way less than 5-8k outside of studs. If its a good deal on the truck and leaves a little to handle fixing all but studs i would do it. Try to get super cheap because of the lemon title and possibly save enough to get the studs done too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not saying you in particular man. Nobody should have to bullet proof a motor in a production vehicle. I mean if you want too but I sure as hell won't spend that kind of money to make something right that left the factory wrong. I had a 6.0, nice truck besides the 6 leaker that's under the hood.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
One thing to remember is that navistar designed the 6.0 for 250 hp not the 325 ford bumped it to.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I guess I didn't mention price. When I purchased truck it was priced about 15k lower than comparable non lemon vehicles on the lot.

I was pretty nervous when I did it but looking back it was a good decision. I loved that truck. Not as much as this new one though!!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magitrix View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum as I just bought a used 2005 F-250 Harley Diesel with around 125k miles. I test drove it and everything seemed good. All the electronic components worked (radio/CD, A/C, power windows, etc) and the exterior was in good condition (just a minor dent/scratch on the upper right rear of the bed and no rust under wheel wells, etc). It was a smaller dealership and I drove it to the mechanic that had the truck checked out. The mechanic said they did like the egr delete and installed some bearings or something because it previously had wobble. Also, the engine light is always ON because they said it's due to the egr delete. I did some research and found out that it's true and can use SCT tuner to remove it (that's fine). The truck drove great, was decently smooth and no problems with brakes too.

-According to past history, though, it is a lemon. What I would like to know from experienced 6.0L PS turbo diesel drivers is if this is that big of deal?? Can a vehicle or truck with past lemon history be fixed or changed around to be better (even though it may carry that lemon title) and not have negative impact on current condition?? Or, in other words, can a lemon be fixed, but only downside is in the past history report? I am not planning on reselling it so I don't care about past history or resale value. I am going to just drive it to the ground and hopefully put on 300-350K+ miles if possible. Everything about the truck is good when I drove it and even the mechanic said it was good plus I don't mind shelling some money out to get some tuners or gauges. Like I said, I am going to keep this for longevity (no towing or anything, maybe occasional off-roading). Should I be worried?? Thank you for the help..much appreciated!!
From what you are telling me I would say run with it! The 6.0l is a great motor as others stated the 6.0l has a bad rep but u can fix anything if u really want to. As for the 5k-8k into the truck it's a used truck over 100k it's going to need small stuff wrong. And for what others said to a certain point is right u should not have to bulletproof anything but it is a piece of mind to know ur truck is not going to break btw 6.4l isn't the best motor in the world. I can honestly say I have seen 6.0l with 260k-280k stock head bolts
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FYI EGR delete wont throw a CEL on a 05 model i believe 06 and 07 it will.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM

I believe it depends more on the flash ( strategy) than the year of the truck

I agree 6.4 folks baggin on a 6.0 don't get it LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.