6.0 Starts rough and dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Starts rough and dies

I changed the oil in my truck bc it had a hard knock, the oil changed fixed that but i started it this morning and it started real rough and it died immediatly, then started it back up and it shot out blue smoke and was idling really bad. and when i pushed on the gas in park there was no acceluration at all and it took about 3 minutes to have any acceluration, help guys please, i just bought this truck and im kinda ****ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be possible HPOP going bad. I had the same problem for a while it would start really rough then after a while would just crank and no start
Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be possible ficm too. Youll have to get the truck on a scanner, preferably for a cold start to watch your ficm voltage and ipr/icp readings
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would agree that you gotta get a monitor on your truck.They can be found from $150 and up. Right now the truck cannot talk to you to tell you what is wrong. And if it is say a bad ficm you can start eating injectors.
If you are in a cold weather area I would also suggest you run t5 or t6. The cold start will improve 100%. And archoill will also help.
Another suggestion is to go ahead and change out your fuel filters. I know mine looked like the last guy who owned the truck NEVER changed them out. Airfilter, how does that look?
The 6.0 is a picky ole girl that will not put up with us not taking care of them . They want to be pampered but in return they will work when asked and love doing it.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM

the whole story

Thanks so far guys, ill start from the beginning. I bought it at a andy mohr budget lot with no warrenty, it ran fine for a few days and started getting loufld knock and rough idle when I would start it in the morning, I have always waiting for the glow plug indicator to go off. well Ichanged the oil bc I heard that could cause the hard knock and I dont have hard knock anymore, I changed the fuel filter in the engince compartment but not the one under the truck and after about 4 hours the truck will start fine but it seems overnight I.go to start it and itll die instantly and when I do get it to start it idles rough till warm and I noticed a puff of white smoke coming out the tail pipe. it didnt do of this before I changed my top filter or oil. Helppp please guys
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM

its not cold here the coldest it gets is about 60 but when Igo to start it its about 70
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you use Motorcraft filters? I've seen a cheap, parts store oil filter cause a no start before. Check the oil filter cap to make sure it is correct, once again I've seen people reuse a "do not re-use" parts store cap and it holds the drain back valve open.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 AM

I work at advanced auto parts and a I used a puralator pure one oil filter and a puralotor classic fuel filter but I only changed the fuel filter in the engine compartment
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not knocking your product, but as previously stated, the 6.0 is a picky girl, pick up some Motorcraft filters.

Being at the parts store, see if any of your wholesale customers will scan it for you (for free) before you spend any more money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM

thanks will do, well I have the second filter already should I replace the old one? and I dont have a check engine light or anything just a ****ty start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.