Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

6.0 ENGINE REPLACEMENT COST??

68K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  trukdoc55 
#1 ·
WELL, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED BY MY LOCAL FORD DEALER THAT MY ENGINE HAS 3 BARS OF BLOWBY. I WAS QUOTED $5900 TO REPLACE HEAD GASKETS AND OVER $8000 TO REPLACE HEADS IF THEY WERE DAMAGED. I FOUND A COMPLETE USED ENGINE ONLINE, AND THE LOCAL FORD DEALER QUOTED ME $2500 TO DO THE SWAP. ARE THESE QUOTES ACCURATE FOR THESE REPAIRS?? PLEASE HELP..

THANKS

#2 ·
Those numbers are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shop around, How many miles on the clock? Blow by? Did they pressure test? 3 Bars, Is that dealer talk for cylinders?If the cylinder wall are scared, Then yes a re bore is in your future, That's if the scar is not very deep. If to deep to re bore, I would look into a long block, Unless the engine you found is complete and has low miles. That would give you the opportunity to sell the unused parts and recap some of that monetary damage. If the head were cracked I could see replacing them, But 8K. I have never priced head but that sounds very high to me.

#3 ·
Definitely Shop This SHOP!! How many miles?? Any mods?? Where do you live??

#4 ·
I LIVE IN JACKSON, MS. THE ONLY MODS ARE COLD AIR INTAKE, MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, AND SCT TUNER. SUSPENSION MODS INCLUDE SKYJACKER 4" LIFT AND HANKOOK 37" TIRES. THE ENGINE HAS 123K MILES ON IT. LOOKING AT THE HISTORY, THE HEADS WERE REPLACED @ 54K MILES BY THE ORIGINAL OWNER. THE ONLY THING TOLD TO ME WAS THAT THE ENGINE HAD THREE BARS OF BLOWBY.. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THAT IS... ANY IDEAS???

#6 ·
Did you get the "Replaced Heads" Info off an oasis report? If not get an Oasis report, It could have been just head gaskets.
But once again, If nothing else you are on track in your thinking, These numbers don't pass the giggle test!

#7 ·
$5900 to replace the head gaskets??? But only $2500 to R&R the motor? That's messed up! Replacing the gaskets is a smaller job. Most dealer techs will lift the cab to do the work, only takes an experienced tech maybe 2 hours to have it in the air, exposing your motor for all the work to be done. If you get a used 6.0 longblock you still have to swap things from the old motor to the new... Basically what I'm saying is the head gasket job should be cheaper than replacing the motor. Even if their prices were fair, I'd go someplace else, its obvious this place doesn't have a clue what they're talking about and/or won't even do a good job for you.

#8 ·
1 bar=14.5psi. Bar is a metric measure for pressure.

#10 ·
On a gas engine three bar of loss would sound like a lot as they run low compression and with no power adder.

#11 ·
What year is your truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.