Rough Start and Power Loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Start and Power Loss

I have a couple issues. But I will be as brief as I can.

1. Ever since about 6 months after I got my 2007 F250 6.0 cold startups have been rough. I have used RevX like everyone on here suggests and it helped out a lot the first winter I had it. This past winter it really made no difference if I used it or not. But it wasn't overly terrible. But as summer came around and I expected the rough starting to go away for the most part, still using the RevX, it did not. I am guessing it is time to assess which injectors are giving me fits and replace them... probably going to be a winter project at this point and I am considering a EGR delete since I have began to notice a little bit of mysterious water loss and a general check of everything else while in the process. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep me from having to tear that far into it? Or does my assumption sound about right?

2. About 6 months ago after a 5 hour long drive, with one stop for lunch and fuel, as I rolled down a offramp I noticed the truck sounded a little different. When I went to accelerate it acted like it wanted to but it didn't. It would start to rev up a bit then just flatten out and bog down. I pulled over and shut it off. I waited a few moments and then fired it back up. And all was well again. I didn't think much of it at the time. Now about a month and a half ago I was driving about 50mph and it lost power again... basically the same issue by the way it sounded. This time I was on my way up a decent sized hill so I accelerated hard to see if I could at least get to the top. It bogged for about 15 seconds then came out of it... the turbo spooled up and she took of like nothing was wrong.... thill i let off the throttle then it was back to bogging down. I revved it again and it came out the same again. This time it stayed out and was ok. I got to thinking that maybe this has something to do with whatever injectors are causing my starting problems. But being that I am not a diesel guru I was only guessing. Well yesterday it did it again. And once again by revving it up a little it came out. I did notice that it was blowing black smoke like no tomorrow until the turbo spooled up and it began to accelerate. Any clues on this one?

My truck is stock. No mods of any kind. I would like to get her running nice and smooth again so I don't worry so much when I tow my camper. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You are pretty correct in your assumptions. Injectors rarely clear themselves up and eventually any cold start (whether winter or not) will show their weakness. There is nearly no overlap in removing the EGR cooler or accessing the injectors, both jobs are pretty much seperate. The mystery coolant loss is pretty typical of an egr cooler beginning to leak. I see it day in and day out.

The second concern with your truck producing smoke sounds like either a turbo sticking or more likely and EGR valve concern. With a slight coolant loss from the EGR cooler it will quickly cause concerns with the EGR valve getting overrun with sticky carbon. Wet or dry if there is excessive carbon coming from the cooler it's likely on it's beginning stages of failure.

Whatever you decide to do with your EGR you should put an oil cooler in the truck too
Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I figured if I am gonna have my truck down for one thing I might as well go ahead and do both.

I am going to check the EGR valve soon. I will clean it and hopefully it will keep that issue from happening again for now. I thought about the turbo deal as well but I wasn't really sure what it would do if it was sticking. But I have read plenty about that being an issue.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My stroke was losing power also going up hill and would hurry up after it shifted. Just put mine in the shop this morning, will let you know what was causing that. It may be somewhat of the same problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.