6.0 Wont Crank / Batts Fine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Wont Crank / Batts Fine

Hello again.
I have a new problem and couldnt have come at a worse time.

Today when leaving a Job Site, went to start her up and nothing...lights worked, instrument lights come on, so does the plug heater...another thing thing is a 6 Speed manual, so i thought maybe it was the clutch sensor, so i feathered the clutch while holding the key in crank and I can hear it activating so it cant be that...
so a buddy of mine pulled me in his dinky ford ranger (couldnt believe it since we were on gravel) and I was able to pop start it easialy...drove fine for about 70 miles or so to get home... parked it and shut it off and tried again...no luck.

Ive checked the any fuse that relates to the Starter or ignition and they all looked fine. the only one that is blown that i can see easialy is something called trailer Heater??? its a bigger square fuse . space 115 i think and its 30 amps.

any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I was reading about other s that had similar problems but with there PCM fuse...i didnt think this applied since theres completely dies...mine will start, run, and drive unless
"I" Shut it off....
????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On a side note, its not the starter relay #307...switched it with the blower motor relay and still nothing.

The stock anti Theft system seems to be working fine aswell.

Last edited by Mobeus; 08-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im going thru and trying different things.
Ive tried jumping the starter from the big wire to the smaller one on the solenoid...that resulted in a few small sparks but no crank. then i tried running a wire from the smaller post on the solenoid and touching the other end to the positive terminal and battery...same thing...some sparks but no crank.
Im getting this idea from another post on a different vehicle...
I see one large red wire and a smaller red wire at the solenoid, however there is a large flat wire that seems to be going there as well...I cant be sure because its hiddin.

Am I doing this correctly? seeings how this has 2 batteries...does this matter.?

Can someone pls help. I have to get to work in the AM
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When you try to start it, do you hear any clicking?
You might take the starter off and have autozone look at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregarner View Post
When you try to start it, do you hear any clicking?
You might take the starter off and have autozone look at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When I try to start I hear nothing. Ive had a few starters go bad on other cars and there was always signs that the starter was going to die soon...such as a clicking noise...but this was just out of the blue...started right up this morning , got to work...went to leave work and no crank.

very odd.

Adavenced auto has a new starter for 98 bucks...gonna give it a try i guess.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like a dead spot on the armature. 98 dollar starter sounds like a cheapie. keeps yours for now. pull it apart, check for open on armature. If it is, and I'm betting on it, have a machine shop chuck it in a lathe on low gear. Use a rosebud to heat it to soldering temps, and use the highest temp solder you can find. that is heat the commutator bars where the brushes contact. just totally cover the whole area, especially where the copper winding attach to the comm bars. let it cool down then cut off the excess solder. voila no more dead spot, new bushings, as needed, and new brushes. better than new. def better than some cheapie autozone rebuilt by some half drunk fool in their plant
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well thanks for that advice...sounds like alot of work...But it turns out it was the starter...I bought the remaned unit and it fired right up...much faster than old one ever did. it was the original starter lol. anyway I hope it last 6 months or more, then id consider it a good deal.

on a side note, the top bolt holding starter in is much easier to get off if you crank the wheel to the left and remove the wheel shroud. the whole starter assembly is right there. it will take awhile to remove the top bolt cus u can only spin the bolt one click of the ratchet at a time due to clearance. hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks all for the helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.