6.0 startup issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 startup issue

I have an 03 F250 6.0 with 77000 miles on it. Has an egr delete, 3.5 inch straight pipe, and sct custom tuner from innovative diesel currently on 160hp tune, everything else is stock. Go out in the morning or after setting for about 6 hours to start and has fairly decent puff of white smoke along with a rough idle for a second or two tops then its fine. After it has been running it starts normally with no idle problem or white smoke at all. No smoke at heavy acceleration, idle, or take offs. Switched back to stock for a few days and problem was gone. I have checked coolant and oil numerous times and they are holding steady. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cold start issues are usually FICM, electrical, or injector stiction related. I would do a test of your FICM voltage while cranking the first start of the day. Theres a good youtube video showing the process. To make things easier, get th assorted vaccum caps from autozone or similar, to plug the barb for the coolant line on the degass bottle. Youll need 8mm socket, volt meter, I believe a torx bit for the ficm, and a friend to help.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 AM

Maybe you should have your tune checked since not useing the tune everything worked ok.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Just did the FICM test and it had 48.2 Volts in the on position and while cranking had no less than 47.4 followed by back to 48.2 at startup. Is there anything i could do additive wise that might tell weather or not an injector is sticking without having to remove them? I think tomorrow i will call out to innovative diesel and see about a bad program. Buddy of mine says it is bad injectors but if it was bad then it would puff the cloud whether on stock or a program id think.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 PM

Does anyone know if using a fuel treatment could cause the start up problem. I use Howes at a 2.5 oz per 5 gallon mixture as the bottle states. I filled up the other day and today never had the problem once even after setting for 12 hours.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 AM

While I am not partial to mechanic-in-a-can soloutions additives are what is commonly used to clear up fueling problems [stiction] etc. Never seen one actually cause problems.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:53 AM

White smoke could be an injector sticking open and over fueling or ficm- but you can check the ficm off ur list. Interesting that would happen with a tune but not stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM

Thats what i thought about the additive. It was suppose to help clean it up and prevent problems but its only done the symptom once now since i filled up and it wasnt even that bad compared to the rest i thot so im thrown for a loop. As for the injectors possibly leaking off i wudnt think it wud change wheathed it was on stock or with a program under the assumption the programmer doesnt up the fuel pressure. Could it be from lack of air maybe on a cold start since it still has factory air setup? I also remember comming across something about a check ball of some sort that is opened by the fuel filter i think. Something about it has to be a ford fuel filter or it doesnt work right with opening it all the way. I put a wix one it for fuel and oil. Could the ficm also pass a test one day but fail the next and actuallly be bad?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Programmers change the fuel map or the desireved fuel air ratio depending on alot of conditions. fuel pressure is mechanically controlled by the spring inside filter housing .. Go to ford and get motorcraft fuel filters and oil filter. I am not sure if wix has the same design for the secondary filter, but the motorcraft primary hfcm filter has a special coating which is neccessary for filtering water and contaminants. The money your saving with cheap filters is nothing compared to a set of injectors or hpop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM

So there is a difference of quality for actual ford filters. Ill change em out when i get time too. Last night i was talking with a coworker who has a cummins about the smoke at start up. He was sayin his does it on a high horse setting but not on a lower one just from cranking and putting fuel in the exhaust then firing and not burning whats been dumped. Any thoughts on that. Be the first time i have heard of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2003, 6.0, f250, rough idle, smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.