No start after negitive battery cable come off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after negitive battery cable come off

Been searching for an answer for hours. tried several possible solutions. looking for help.

Was driving the truck yesterday and went to start it after it sat for 10min. For a brief fraction of a second it turned over normal then the RPM of the starter turning the engine over dramatically reduced. and the truck won't start. Opened the hood to find the neg battery cable disconnected from the driver's side battery. reconnected it no change. have had the batteries checked at two places. other than the passenger side battery being low on charge the both checked out fine after charging the passenger side battery. the only error coders are p1000 and p0603 which i think are from disconnecting and reconnecting battery. checked all fuses and relays seem to work (can feel them click when ignition is turned on and starting). I hear the fuel pump running when I turn key to run. I put new starter in B/C it is only cranking at 78rpms according to the edge monitor (it's my understanding 200 is minimum for the 6.0L to start). but even with the new starter itdid not improve much 100RPM it will almost want to start sputter RPM will reach 150-200 hit 400 once It sounded like it was going to keep running but alas not. Engine parameters I've monitored are FCIM sync (1), FCIM voltage (48-47.5), inject pressure (1200), inject pulse with (2-3), engine RPM usually 75-100.

Two thinks that have me wondering after only 30 sec of cranking on the fully charged supposedly good batteries (3 mo old) there is a noticeable drop in engine RPM and the passenger side battery will draw 4 amps on the charger. I think this might be the issue when it was load tested the guy only put a 450amp draw on it. The other potential cause is when I crank the engine the Oil pressure gauge doesn't read. now I never look to see if it did while craning before but In my search for the problem one poster said to look for this as it might be a faulty oil pressure sensor causing the engine no to start. I would think this would throw a code though. any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
KCCO!!

What caused your battery cable to come off? No worries on your oil pressure gauge, it won't show pressure until your truck has started. Any prior issues?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I that battery cover didn't allow the negative cable to seat really well on th post. with the clamp tightened fully it still could be turned on the post (not easily but over time I could see how it could work it's way off with the cover pushing up on it ex.. I could not pull it of but could rotate it and if I had the patients I imagine I could work it off over time) I bent the connector to fit the cut out in the cover better so the clamp will sit deeper on the post and I can no longer turn it when fully tightened. No prior issues but I've only owned the truck for 2 mo. and put 1500mi on it alos I don't know the history as I bought it at an auction.

I thought my profile would bring up my truck info.

If it is helpful
2003 f350 DRW 6.0L crew cab 4x4 K&N air intake, remote coolant filter, 4" turbo back exhaust, edge CTS evolution controller

Last edited by vaulter; 08-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I vote for blown fuse when the cable came off
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What fuse I pulled and checked every fuse in the box. And why would that cause the engine to only turn over at 78 RPM
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

begining to wonder if the battery cable was just a coincidence. ICP while cranking 45, IRP 85 at RPM of 75
Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The AC compressor locked up and wouldn't let the engine crank fast enough to build oil pressure and or start. Better than the LPOP I was worrying about. Add the AC compressor to possible causes of no start issues. I should have realized with the slow turn over but the negative batt cable had me thrown off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.