Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HG emergency

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ajfrac 
#1 ·
So I just tried cranking my 05 6.0 up after studs and cooler, ive cranked for a combined total of 3 minutes or so. ICP is reading about 2 psi during cranking. Im worried I damaged the branch tube or something. I tried unplugging icp still nothing.

Whats the normal time it takes to crank up after hg?
Should I see icp rise at all?
How much cranking does it take to start?
Whats duration and frequency of cranking is best to not damage starter?

Thanks

#5 ·
I poured oil in where the filter standipe goes to fill the cooler. Ill check the levels. As far as the gauge on the dash, ive never seen oil pressure until its started, never when cranking. Im at a drs appt now but ill keep trying when I get home. I was able to get an icp of about 16psi. Sometimes ill crank it and it will stay the same. Sometimes I crank it and it goes up a few psi.

#6 ·
Ok, oil level is good, the filter area is filling. Now icp wont go above 9.5 psi. Im going to keep trying every so often and if it doesnt start by thursday im towing it to a dealer to trade in.

#8 ·
Ok, oil level is good, the filter area is filling. Now icp wont go above 9.5 psi. Im going to keep trying every so often and if it doesnt start by thursday im towing it to a dealer to trade in.

#7 ·
Did you put the dummies in the correct hole? Usually the problem is in the injector hold downs, the oil rail and wiring/connection issues. 9.5psi means nothing if the IPR isn't closing, or it is commanded closed but remains open.

#9 ·
Fantom you just made my day with that. The reality is that ive spent alot on this truck and have only owned for less than a year. But I owe too much on it to trade in, so its cheaper to just get it fixed at the dealership than to pay the difference on my loan. Ill check the pigtail for the ipr tomorrow night. After that its off to the dealership to get fixed. Ive got way to many other things going on to be down a vehicle and trying to figure out what it is. If im not mistaken , the ipr plug should have + and - 12v correct?

#11 ·
9.5 psi means it isn't going to start. ICP psi needs to be up around 450 to start IIRC.
This is true, but that is stating the obvious. I was thinking of why his pressure is low. 9.5 psi is somewhat dubious as the gauge is not that accurate at the best of times; it could be "0" or even 80 psi with effectively the same true pressure at a reading of 9.5!

If the OP wants to spend 15 minutes or less to help diagnose the problem, air up the HPO system and have a good listen. If he had no diagnostic tools, he will need to figure out how to close the IPR manually (yellow and red wire IPR wire to ground) with a second plug.

#12 ·
Id do that but I dont have air compressor or a tank, dont know anyone thay does. When I had it all apart, the ipr wiring was pretty rough looking, ill see if its bad wiring. But I need it running soon and ill spend the same taking it to the dealer. Theres no pressure at all which makes me think the ipr isnt working or mauybea standpipe isnt seated in the branch tube ( if thats possible), or the branch tube is jacked up somehow. Is there a way to test the ipr? Feeling it click if I hook it to a battery? Does polarity matter?

#13 ·
You need 12v power with a good connection to check the IPR. You may hear it click, but often nothing is heard. The valve opens slightly to bleed off pressure at 0v. You can't really bench check it without a pressure connection plumbed to it. You can do it partially in the truck. With 100 psi air it will either be open or closed. Without a lot more fluid pressure, there isn't much way to check partial openings. The slightest contamination will cause the IPR to stick in any position, but normally open.

#14 ·
Does polarity matter with the ipr?

#16 ·
So I just read on the org not to touch the inner portion of the ipr. When I had it apart I took the ipr out to put new screen/ orings on. I wiped it with laquer thinner and a rag. Would that destroy it? Also I read about making sure standpipes are fully seated in the branch tubes, how would I know theyre seated properly?

Thanks

#17 ·
Update. Key on engine off, im getting a solid ground and + at the pigtail of the ipr plug. Is this right? Or am I looking at some damaged wiring?

#18 ·
SOLVED!!!!!!! Dealer found it was in fact a LPO problem. Had an aftermarket oil filter cap (was on it when I got it and didnt notice). The cap wasnt pressing the filter down far enough to keep it from draining. The starter was weak (compared to the new one theres a major difference) starter couldnt get oil in quicker than it drained, so it never got oil into the HPOP res. Said he got it started with new cap on, then it died. Then the starter crapped out. Called this morning, said its cheaper to get autozone starter and bring to him. Few hours later its ready for pickup ( had him do some other tests with ids). He says its the best running 6.0 hes seen in a long time, and it runs noticeably better ( its back to stock right now.... til tomorrow) also I forgot who mentioned oil gauge on dash, you were spot on, its never shown oil pressurre until a few sec after it started, thought it was normal, it wasnt, now I show oil pressure during crank. Runs like a top. Now to finish the flush and new coolant.

Thanks to all those that helped along the way.

#19 ·
Glad you got it figured out. It was my picture that solved your problem, wasn't it? :hehe:

#20 ·
Sure lightened the mood. I was pretty pissed but I laughed at the picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.