im at a loss with slow hot start, help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
im at a loss with slow hot start, help!

alright guys this is whats going on... truck developed a SLOW hot start issue, and looking at my cts i determined it to be the infamous stc fitting failing. so i replaced the stc with the updated ford part along with the standpipes and dummy plugs, oil change, and fuel filters. truck starts great when cold but went to REI and took about 20 seconds of cranking to finally start. truck runs great by the way, just a small exhaust leak that i still need to fix anyway, icp slowly climbed up to 500 to start, ipr was at 85%, ficm at 49.5, oil gauge on dash cluster came up to normal spot after about 5 seconds of cranking, trucks been driven about 100 miles since install so shouldnt be any air bubbles still. i did replace the screen on the ipr and didnt see any debris so i just dont know where to go from here. and if it matters, injectors do buzz test before start up. thanks for any and all help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Since the icp is showing the oil pressure rise very slowly and the IPR is at 85% I'd assume your HPOP is on its way out or leaking... Did you check the seals on the HPOP when you had it apart?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:26 PM
RollinEarly05...now

FYI... Factory oil gauge on the dash is programmed so poorly its basically an idiot light... its for the low pressure side of the oil system anyway.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dash gauge is either in the middle or nothing. Its low pressure oil switch activated at 7 psi. 5 seconds seems a little slow but 20 seconds to get to 500 on hpo is obviously bad. i would suggest pressurizing the hpo system with shop air and listening for leaks. It can be a pain in the butt, however it will pinpoint your leak so you dont throw money at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I was thinking hpop but it runs perfect at WOT. And how exactly do you pinpoint a leak using the air method? Just listen close and best guess??
Old 08-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

And no I didn't check seals on hpop, just changed fitting and o ring for the cover
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do a search here for air leak test you will find everything u need. If you have any specific questions id be glad to help, ive done it one too many times. Wat is ur icp and ipr reading at wot? These pumps have the ability to make alot of pressure, the ipr will dump the excess oil. What i do is pull the turbo, pull the filter and pull the ccv tube going into intake. After allll the oil is out of the system, if you have a leak you will hear two things, either a gurgling sound in the filter housing or turbo drain going into the hpop cover (bad seal in the hpop which means air is flowing into the lpo side of the system) or u will hear a leak in the valve covers through the ccv or oil fill tube. Another thing to note is if you have the oil blown out of the system and air is leaking into the hpop cover( you will hear it through the turbo drain or the filter housing) it could be a bad ipr.

With all of that said, i would almost put money on a bad hpop seal. If you feel comfortable with your work on the stc and dummy plugs, pull the hpop and bench test it. if it holds air, replace the exterior seals (cannot replace the front shaft seal) install it, and air leak the entire system. It may take a while to get air out of system

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

^^^ thanks! So where is this seal on the hpop that your talking about? And yes I'm comfortable with my install, torqued to 60 ft. lb.and when your talking about the cover seal, are you talking the actual cover over the hpop or on the actual pump? Just disappointing doing all that work, to not have it be working correctly. I'll do a WOT run tomorrow morning
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sorry another question LOL so are you saying drain all the oil to air test it?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Dont drain the oil, here's a wright up. It's very simple!
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...r-adapter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.