Long crank no start, need help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long crank no start, need help please

So first off I know theres a million threads with this issue, and I've pretty much read through them all. Only problem is nothing seems to answer my questions and problems specifically.

You can see the upgrades i have done in my signature, and just 2 weeks ago I had the oil cooler, IPR and turbo drain tube replaced. Along with Rotella oil and filters from motorcraft. Also while there that mechanic gave me the news that nobody wants to hear, my head gaskets are leaking.

Now the problem is, The past few months I have noticed a longer crank time then usual when not at operating temperature. Like a good 5-8 seconds. Once it fires its good to go. One day about 3 months ago i woke up, and it wouldnt crank at all. Had the starter replaced and it worked again. But still with long crank times when cold. I asked that mechanic about the long crank time and he said thats normal. (clearly I knew it wasnt but whatever) So i let it be.

So here I am this morning, I go to start the truck and it starts cranking. I decided I wasnt gonna let it crank as long because im sure its not good for the truck. Shut the key off turn it back on, wait a few seconds and now it wont crank at all. So had it towed to another mechanic who is pretty certain it is the starter.

Also while having the long cranks i notice that the ICP takes a little while to build to at least 500psi.

So now my question is do I have some sort of HPO leak? Thats what Ive been thinking but not 100% sure from where. And if so, would the stress of the long cranks wear out my starter that quick?

Sorry for such a long post, just this truck is killing me. I absolutely love it but cant possibly afford to have it in the shop every couple weeks. Any and all help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Also, forgot to mention, FICM voltage is good reading no lower than 47v, recently replaced the FICM with a Bulletproof 48v. And batteries and alternator were replaced no more than 6 months ago.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

Extended cranks can definitely fry a starter. Usually crank for like 10-20 seconds at most, then allow 2 minutes to cool. But as far as why its taking so long to start could be numerous things. I'm not saying this is your problem...but when my truck wouldn't start after having my power side on my FICM repaired, it turned out to be my Logic side fried. Voltage read a steady 48v in all 3 phases so I started tearing my hair out. One day I gave in and took it to Ford..they spent 3 hours trying to diagnose it, finally they took a known good FICM from another 6.0 in the shop that was in there for STC fitting. Plugged it in and it purred like a kitten.

But really it could be almost anything. A crank or cam sensor going bad would cause this, bad battery cables (not batteries) could cause it, failed hpop or leaking HPO, faulty ECM(unlikely) and the list goes on and on. Do you have access to a code reader? At least see what the truck is trying to tell you even if the CEL isn't on, might at least point you to the right system that's malfunctioning
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info, and im definitely ready to tear my hair out lol. As for codes, I have an edge insight, and its showing a p0266 which is an injector and a p1000 which im not sure what that is. Could the injector be the reason?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

p1000 is obd11 readiness..it clears itself after being driven. The injector shouldn't cause a no start issue. You'd have issues with fuel economy and possible misses. Those being the only codes seems a bit odd, since neither would cause a no start. And I missed it before, but since you have a BPD FICM, I doubt that's your problem. If it were me, I'd start diagnosing the HPO system with air. Just because its a common problem and it doesn't require replacing anything to test, if you don't hear a leak, then you know its something different. Wish I could help more but I'm just a backyard mechanic that makes things hard on myself sometimes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Alright, well the no start issue im assuming is the starter. But the starter went im guessing cause the long crank. But i guess ill have to test it with air to check. Haha well it still helped me look in the right direction. Thanks man!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yea, just the ICP taking awhile to build says there's got to be something wrong with the HPO system. I guess I missed the part where "now it won't crank at all" I had to reread, so yea a bad starter would definitely cause a no start situation. Crazy how that works. glad I could help and I hope you get her running again soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.