Two codes, intermittent WIF light and failing injector - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Two codes, intermittent WIF light and failing injector

Here's what I've got. I recently let the truck sit for about two and a half months, it had a half a tank of fuel in it and before I cranked it up I poured a can of Seafoam into it and let it sit for the day. Then next day I cranked it up and drove over to fill it up with new fuel. I've driven it for just under 700 miles since then, but after about 300 miles my WIF light came on. I expected that so I promptly pulled the plug to drain it. The light stayed on so I planned on changing the fuel filters, but I wanted to wait until I had run all the fuel that had sat in the tank out. After my next fill up I changed the fuel filters and pulled the plug on the frame filter one more time. The light comes right on when I crank it up, but after I drive it for more than 10 miles or so it goes off. Today I noticed it didn't seem to be idleing correctly. Not horrible, not even anyone that didn't drive it everyday would notice but I heard something different. I checked my codes and I've got a P0263. I picked up some Diesel Kleen this afternoon, but I wanted to get some input on here. I read a bunch of threads, but I couldn't find anyone that had a situation that matched mine. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

From what I've read on it, P0263 is #1 injector issue. If you know anyone with an AE, run a contribution test to confirm. Might be needing a new injector.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM

What do you mean by AE?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Auto Enginuity. Or other comparable quality scanner.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll post later tonight, gotta clock in now. I'm bookmarking this so I can find it later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM

An update for today. I put about 300 miles on the truck today before the WIF came on. I poured the Diesel Kleen in the tank this morning and filled it up.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

The two problems may not be related. I'm going to suggest that you attack them seperately until it is determined that they are related.

On the injector code, is it a dead miss or just a little rough? If it has been a while since you changed the oil I'd say to do an oil change with T6 and hit it with some RevX. Yeah, I know, $150 oil change. It would still be a good idea to have a cylinder contribution test done.

On the WIF light. Pull the cover off of the HFCM and clean the crud out of it. You will be amazed at how much funk is in there. If the sensor looks rotten, get a new one.

Post up results.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
The two problems may not be related. I'm going to suggest that you attack them seperately until it is determined that they are related.

On the injector code, is it a dead miss or just a little rough? If it has been a while since you changed the oil I'd say to do an oil change with T6 and hit it with some RevX. Yeah, I know, $150 oil change. It would still be a good idea to have a cylinder contribution test done.

On the WIF light. Pull the cover off of the HFCM and clean the crud out of it. You will be amazed at how much funk is in there. If the sensor looks rotten, get a new one.

Post up results.

I prefer to use Mobil1 5w-40 on my oil changes. Any special reason you mentioned T6 or you were just implying I should use a good synthetic. It has been a little while since I changed the oil so i was going to change it this weekend anyway, that'll work out well. You're saying add Rev-Ex to the oil, I thought it was a fuel additive? I wouldn't say it's a miss or rough. The truck runs fine, I was just letting it cool down one time and I thought I heard something in the idle. Nobody else with me heard it, but I know my truck, so it prompted me to check the codes and that's when I found it. As for the WIF light, I did a bunch of reading on here about it yesterday and am planning to pull the cover this weekend as well. I'll let you know what turns up. I cleared all the codes about 50 miles ago, waiting to see if it comes back.

Last edited by 6literdiesel; 08-08-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

I was just suggesting a good synthetic and you can't go wrong with mobil. RevX does have a fuel additive but I think they are better known for their oil additive. Honestly, if you've been running mobil1, I'd skip the RevX for now.

Sounds like you got this on the run, let me know what you find.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Update**

I changed my oil that weekend, but I never did pull the cover off the HFCM. I ran the tank with Diesel Kleen in it and on the next tank I poured a half a quart of two stroke and a half a bottle of Diesel Kleen in. Every tank since then I've poured half a quart of two stroke in. All in all I've put a little over 1,500 miles on the truck since I cleared the codes. The code hasn't come back nor has the WIF light come on. I have heard it stumble at idle once since then, but just for a second and no codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.