Long cold starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long cold starts

I have an 05 Excursion that takes at least 5 (maybe 6) seconds to start. My 04 takes 2 or 3 seconds. It also seems low on power. I likes to downshift more than my truck. Is this a FICM issue? The Ex is all stock with 125,000 miles. My truck (the only thing I have to compare it to) is stock other than the EGR, Cat and muffler delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you running the same oil in each vehicle? Does it seem to fix itself when its warmed up? If it runs better when its warmed up it could be a bad ficm. Mine was bad and it would give the same symptoms as bad injectors when its really the ficm at fault. As far as the downshifting I am not sure. The only real way to find out is to check your ficm voltage. I didn't have a scanguage so I did mine the old fashioned way with a multimeter. here is a video on how to test and remove your ficm.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

x2. Do you have the latest strategies on both trucks?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Not sure what strategies you mean, but both are stock. My 04 got the latest program from Ford when I took it in for a new warranted EGR valve in 07 or 08. The Ex is what it is. I've only had it since the beginning of June. We have put 5000 miles on it since (up to 125,000). I have an oil change ready to go for the 04. I might just change the oil in the Ex instead since I wasn't the last one to do it.

Also the Ex has what seems to be a driveline vibration. It needed a U joint at the pinion flange that I changed. The vibration is still there, but only half as bad. I'm going to change the rearend oil and look for metal in case the bad U joint took out the pinion bearing. But, I'm also thinking the vibration might indicate a bad injector. That would explain the loss of power and maybe the hard cold start.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM

I had my cousin plug in to my Excursion last night. The FICM is reading at 42 volts when the key is on and 48.9 volts while its running. The fuel pressure is at 579. I cleaned the battery terminals and cleaned the wire that runs the glow plugs. Still have a long cold start. Maybe that's just the way the truck runs.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well the FICM should never be below 46 volts. Were you able to check FICM volts when cranking also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.