All 8 glowplug codes on startup and other misc issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All 8 glowplug codes on startup and other misc issues

On startup lately I have been getting all 8 glowplug codes. The truck starts up just fine and there is no smoke, but all 8 codes show up and sometimes the battery light stays on and the voltage goes down to as low as 11.5 volts.

Today while driving the battery voltage dropped to 11.5 and wouldn't go back over 12 very much, it went up to 13 at point point but dropped back down shortly after.

Also, I've been hearing a weird squeak/grind from the rear end. All brakes are fine, recently replaced. When I jack the rear end up and put it in neutral and rotate the drive shaft or tires, it sounds like it is coming from inside the drive shaft. The sound only happens when starting from a stop for a short period, sometimes stopping, and idling in gear, both reverse and drive.

My other issue is with the front drivetrain. When I jacked the front up looking for issues, I noticed when I rotate the front left wheel, everything for the 4x4 system on the left side rotates, but when I rotate the right side only the wheel turns, none of the right side drivetrain. Is it supposed to do that, or is my 4x4 somehow engaged on that side or the hub locked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

You may have a bad GPCM.

Rear end may have a seized u-joint.

Front end the hub is sticking and is not disengaging.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The GPCM is fairly stout and I have found few failuers of them. The plugins and wire harness on the other hand I have found tons of issues.

U-joint is a possibility but internal pumpkin damage is more likely. Pinion gear clearance or some such.

stuck hub I agree on.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Replaced plenty of GPCM's here for that problem. Could be wiring though.

Squeak to me says u-joint. Could be worse for sure though.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Battery light shouldnt stay on, you probably have a bad alternator, Nd weak or bad batteries. One thing about the computerized vehicles is low battery power will cause all sorts of wierd stuff to happen. You probably arent giving enough juice for the gpcm to power all 8 plugs so its getting confused. You should be running at 13.5-14v after its running for 5 minutes or so. Theres definitely an electrical supply issue there ( alternator, batteries, ground, short).

To check the squeal, Id disconnect the driveshaft at the rear diff, lift the rear end,and see if it makes the noise when you turn the driveshaft(would indicate a u joint issue) or the yoke on the differential ( would be a pinion gear, differential, or limited slip issue.)

Your front axle thats turning, try holding the u joint at the knuckle and turning the tire. Its possible that some energy gets through, if you can hold it then thats the case, but if you cant hold it then your hub is stuck.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Yesterday I went through and cleaned the battery terminals really well and let the PCM reset, the voltages shown on my insight appear to be much more stable than before, they used to jump all over the place, though the voltage on the batteries was always stable. I did not get the error codes.

The alternator was replaced less than a year ago with a new 140 amp motorcraft one. The batteries are also only 1 year old, but they can be replaced under warranty so I can do that.

The sound from the rear is very intermittent. It doesn't do it all the time and some times I cannot recreate it. There is no play in the drive shaft nor is there any vibration either, just a rotating squeak/grind sound.

And with the front tire, I don't remember if the front axle was turning or not. But I know that everything inside the knuckle on the left sides spins while nothing inside the knuckle on the right side does.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM

The front 4x4 problem has been fixed, nothing is spinning now, I don't know what changed it, but it doesn't do it now.

As far as the voltages, I got the 8 codes again, truck was warm on start up and it was almost 90 outside. But the battery light did not come on this time and the insight showed 13.5-14 volts for the first 20 minutes and dropped to 12.5-13 volts afterwards, both times they bounced around very quickly within those ranges. But when I stopped to test it from the terminals my multimeter showed a steady 13.3-13.4 with very little fluctuation.

There are also no burn marks on the plugs going to the GPCM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 AM

After sitting all night, batteries in the morning were 12.4. On startup, all 8 codes and the battery light, voltage was 12.0-12.1. After a minute alternator voltage went up to 13.6. After a 25 mile highway drive voltage was steady at 13.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Nothing abnormal about that. Voltage will be low on initial start-up.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4506.0 View Post
Nothing abnormal about that. Voltage will be low on initial start-up.
But why is the battery light coming on?

I had a similar issue before, without the codes and a new alternator fixed it. But I just can't imagine needing a new one within a year, this would be my third in four years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.