Please Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help!

First off I have a 2004 F-250 (late build) 6.0 I just installed a new Edge attitude with a CTS to get more information on a problem I`m having. I have two DTC`s one is P2614 and the other is P0282. I`ve already bought a new cam sensor and a crank sensor that I will install today. But I`m wondering if I shouldn't have also bought a ICP sensor. I took these readings this morning off the CTS and they are as follows. At idle I have ICP .9v to 1.0v and ICP 690 to 700psi and again at @2500 rpms ICP 1.9v to 2.0v with ICP 1700 to 1750psi. In the beginning I thought maybe my FICM was at fault but I can see now it`s right where it should be 48.5v. Is there any information here that would help determine what my problem is? Never a problem starting except day be for yesterday when it would run as long as the starter was engaged but as soon as I released the starter it would die. I let it set overnight and the next day it started right up. Now it seems to run fine till it heats up then gets to missing and running rough. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

If its only dying when it gets warm you might have a high pressure oil leak somewhere. You would probably need to do an air test to find out where though. When the cam and crank sensor DTCs came up..did you just have an extended crank? Typically if/when they go the truck won't start, at least it didn't when my cam sensor went south on me. The values the ICP is reading seem normal, but it could just be faulty readings. You can test to see if its working properly by just unplugging it and seeing if the engine smooths out. It will set a default value and throw a code, but the CTS can erase it afterwards.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, Thats what I was trying to find out, if the readings were close to normal. I got two codes befor while trying to start the truck. It wasn`t a long crank it would fire up quick but then die as soon as I released the starter. I did this several times and it must have been enough to set the codes which were P2614 and P2617. I also got the code that there was a problem with the #8 injector. I`m getting the code P0282 now. I`m very limited on $ and cant be replacing everything but now I`m thinking it`s the #8 injector. Does this sound right ?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

8 could be going bad, but I don't think that cause a no start condition or even make it die once you let off the starter. It would misfire and the exhaust would smell like fuel. Was your FICM voltage 48.5 in all 3 stages? Key on engine off, starting, and idling? I only ask because when my FICM blew out on me, the truck would only "run" while cranking. My volts were 48 but I ended up throwing injector codes 2,3,5,8 which are all on 1 bank in the FICM..turned out my logic side went bad. Unfortunately I was not the one that figured that out, I sent it to Ford and they ended up putting a known good FICM in there and she purred like a kitten again. Only 1 injector seems odd though if you're having the same problem. But going back to your hard start when warm, low pressure on the high pressure oil side could cause an injector not to work correctly..

Sorry I can't just come out and say exactly what your issue is, these beasts need good diagnostic work, but once you pinpoint the problem, they're pretty easy to work on
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Here`s a real kicker. I just went out to my truck to run it and get it up to operating temp. The last time I did that a few days ago, it started missing at about 135 degrees. I haven't ran it much since then not wanting to hurt anything else.But just now I just drove it around town and a little on the highway,it got up to 190 degrees but no miss no sputtering nothing. It ran great, good power, smooth quick start after shutting it down, wouldn`t think there was any problem. I`m completely lost, don`t know where to go from here. Oh and my FICM voltage stays between 48 and 49 volts. Would sticksion cause any of this ?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

it could cause poor performance when driving..but a hard warm start issue, doesn't seem likely. If it starts happening again I'd recommend getting some sort of live scanner on it to see whats going on. Something that can do injector buzz tests, read actual values versus desired values etc etc. At least that would point you in the right direction so you're not throwing money at parts that aren't misbehaving.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

I went out this morning and no start, same thing fires up then dies when I release the starter. I finally got it to idle for a couple minutes but when I tried to give it some gas it died and back to where it was, no start. But I got a bunch of crazy codes like P0620 generator control circuit, P0623 generator lamp circuit, P1148 generator 2 control circut. We got a lot of rain last night would the humidity have any affect ? The reason I ask is because the other time it wouldn`t start it had rained the night be for. Also it`s in the upper 70`s this morning but my ECT read 106 and EOT was at 86 degrees. I can`t think of anything that would cause that except maybe like you said the logic side of the FICM. When I do get it started again I plan to get it in my garage and pull the FICM and check the wiring harness to make sure I didn`t break something when I removed it to do the EGR delete and replaced the oil cooler. Now that I think of it I had no problems until then except the high deltas
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

I checked my wiring harness yesterday and found the plastic connector broken on the forward plug and both the middle and forward connector tabs are broken off.The middle plug came unpluged when I picked up the FICM. I`m probably wrong but I`m thinking when it rain`s the humidity may get inside the plug and cause the hard start. Anyway I orderd a new wiring harness to see what happens.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

That would definitely do it. Just the plugs being loose will cause a hard start/no start situation. I think you'll have it cleared up once you slap the new harness in there.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unti your new harness arrives you can temporarily hold the plugs iin place with long plastic tie wrads once the plugs are seated correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.