Over heating then eventually white smoke please help!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to fathead1107
Over heating then eventually white smoke please help!!!!!

I was driving my fan got louder then eventually my rig started over heating I thought it was my thermostat. I was delivering it home then white smoke started pouring out of my exsuast. There was no fluid leakage anywhere I cracked my radiator cap let off pressure and left it loose so it would not build up pressure. It drove fine after that. I made it home. I am in the army I use my truck to get to work it's essential I have it up and running ASAP please help. I need to kno what to to. I used to be a mechanic in the army I switched over to infantry. But I can work on my rig I just need a bit of help please help.

Last edited by fathead1107; 07-27-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The next morning

Ok I checked all my fluids this morning the only thing that is wrong is my coolant so I put some water in my truck. I started it it ran it was good, so now I am on a drive. There was a bit of white smoke at first but I guess it was coolant still burning off. I drove the truck no problems so far it's regulating temp just fine. I am pretty sure it's the egr valve I want to get a delete kit for it. Do I need to but a oil cooler for it or no? I read if the egr valve gose out then I need to replace the oil cooler. But why? Please help
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well when I did my EGR delete I installed a new cooler, I figured while I was in there mine as well go ahead and change that too. I would keep an eye on your coolant level and watch that temp gauge carefully, you DO NOT want to overheat your truck, bad things will happen.

Also where are you stationed? And good man making the switch to 11B. I was Infantry for 4 years
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Most of times, when the egr cooler is leaking, the real problem is the oil cooler, because the water section is clogged and not enough water goes to the egr, thus overheating the tiny metal walls and breaking them.

Also, if your oil cooler isnt bad you should change it... You are already taking out the whole valley section and the cooler is just about 15 bolts to get it out, and you will have a reliable truck. Hope it to you makes sense
Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok well you guys think its def my egr and not a head gasket. i gotta fix this asap. but i am ant fort campbell ky 101st airborne. did you do the job your self i hate having people work on my truck. i am pretty sure i am capable of doing this to my truck. how is your delete kit also i saw that someone took the egr off and just welded a plate on to it. it seemed pretty lagit but i want to ask around
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM

I am a diesel mechanic so yes I did it myself, its a easy job. I ordered the sinister EGR delete kit and it came with a new oil cooler. No welding is needed, everything is bolted on. The biggest pain is the exhaust as the bolts are usually rusty and difficult to get to. Just make sure you have the new o rings and gaskets for some of the components. I was 1/25th out of Ft lewis and 2SCR out of Vilseck Germany, Baghdad & Baqubah Iraq 2007-2008. Stay safe brother.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

awsome i think i am going to do it on my own. i did my own exsuast on my old 7.3 and had no problem. but where did you find it in a package deal? i would love to find a egr delete kit with oil cooler and tuner and or chip. i am going to get a aer loan i am sure you know what that is money is tight right now and its no interest loan.

thx man for watchin my six
Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM

I hear ya, you need to find some side work. This is the kit I bought, comes with everything you need.

Basic Solution(TM) for Ford 6.0L Powerstroke With Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and Intake Gaskets
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am starting this project tomorrow. i bit nervious scinsister sent me instructions on how to install the delete kit but now the oil cooler do you know where i could look to find that
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM

buy yourself a set of flex head ratcheting boxend metric wrenches. make sure they go all the way down to 8mm. it makes the job almost fun. its almost the only tools you need for this job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.