04 6.0 no crank signal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 no crank signal?

I have an 04 6.0 that won't read crankshaft rpms on a scanner. Has new crankshaft and cam sensor. It is sending voltage from the sensor up to the ecm, but it will not read on a scanner. Won't start at all. Has new HPOP, new Swamps 58 volt FICM, EGR delete, and has an Edge. Also has new injectors. Previously it would start surging randomly and then die. It would start back up then run ok for a bit then surge again. Now for some reason it won't start at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this or have any ideas on what to try?

Thanks, Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you getting "FICM sync"? How about PW, are you getting PW while cranking? If your not getting PW while cranking, then your injectors are not even trying to fire.

What are you using to read cam and crank position sensor?

You should have codes.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
On top of what Rich said you need to check Vref it should be 5v if not you will get no start. If that is good you should check crank trigger ring and make sure it turns true meaning straight while cranking I've seen a few with cracked welds. But let's do basics first.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok now that i have a little more time here is what i have done since the no start condition. I drove truck into shop pulled crank and cam sensor out of it and installled two new motorcraft sensors. Tried to start truck and nothing. Put my soulus pro on it and seen i had plenty of hpop pressure over 47.5 volts at ficm but only reading like 56 to 90 rpms and not sure of code number ill get them tomorrow but it keeps throwing a cam and crank code after cranking.

The motor is definantly turning more rpms than that
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No sensor stands alone

No sensor stands alone they work in conjunction with several others compareing values so to speak. They all match up within their range and the event happens.

In the start run sequence you have comparison of electrical signals [FICM] comparison of oil pressues.HPOil system; low oil system. All of these comeing together in the right sequence and values and you have engine start/run.

In this case you have no sync without it the pcm has no way to know the location of the piston at any given time. You also indicate a real low crank speed. The PCM needs to see 100 rpm min. So you have two major signals that don't jive so you get no start. There may be others as well but it will require looking at the live signals from the sensors or a data log. Codes are just indicators.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 AM

next time you have your crank sensor out, check the tone wheel with a screw driver and see if it has any play in it. IIRC the PCM can derive an RPM singal from the CMP and CKP. If the CKP is out it wont let the truck fire, but still gets RPM from the CMP.

Thats what happened to my truck and it drove me nuts. I had ICP well over 500, FICM volts at 48.5, Good base Low Pressure oil, good fuel pressure, but NO FICM sync, and no PW. I replaced both sensors, starter, and the engine harness. Even installed a known good FICM and PCM. After talking to several 6.0 experts i thought i would check my tone wheel, sure enough I could spin the wheel all the way around.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so whats the fix on a tone wheel loose
new crank or what
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admorgan View Post
so whats the fix on a tone wheel loose
new crank or what
new crank. motor has to come out. heads off, front and rear covers then pull the oil pan and bed plate off. IIRC the shop book calls for 37 hours of labor.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so stick of dynamite is the bettter way out and the thing is i bought this truck just to try to flip and make some money
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the wiring to the sensors! I had a similar problem turned out that the wires to the cps were bare and rubbing on the a/c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.