Turbo not boosting over 16 psi - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo not boosting over 16 psi

I've been regularly seeing 24-26 psi on full throttle, however recently it's only going up to 16/17 tops. My turbo was replaced just before I bought the truck a year ago and it's my daily driver so I'd be a little surprised that vains are sticking this soon. No hissing noises or noticeable leaks anywhere. Am I due for a turbo servicing or are there other things I can eliminate first? I have an Edge CTS monitor and other than boost all numbers have been normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Emergency Services

Has it been sitting for a while?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Nope, it's my daily driver.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 PM

Whats the psi just with normal driving? Do you hear anything different from the turbo or engine in general when you hit the higher rpms? I ask cause you might have a very small leak somewhere on the intake system or the exhaust up pipes and is only noticeable when you get on to it.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselnDrums View Post
Whats the psi just with normal driving? Do you hear anything different from the turbo or engine in general when you hit the higher rpms? I ask cause you might have a very small leak somewhere on the intake system or the exhaust up pipes and is only noticeable when you get on to it.
Good question, I did have a leak in the up pipe a few months back after an egr delete. It hissed pretty bad, but it killed the low end boost. It was a dog until you get on the throttle and the would go up to the 24-26 range, the exact opposite of now. This time it's the opposite. It's completely normal when driving normally. Turbo spools up quickly, it just won't go over 16/17 psi no matter what.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Sounds like an underboost problem, have you changed your exhaust back pressure sensor lately?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroken00b View Post
Sounds like an underboost problem, have you changed your exhaust back pressure sensor lately?
No I haven't. I thought this could be the culprit as well, but I've been a little confused because I have read a few threads that said the EBP seonsor was rendered useless with the latest flash. My turbo does cycle at idle when it's cold (hear the turbo spool slightly at idle, then the exhaust note changes to low rumble for a second or 2)so I know I have this flash. I didn't want to tear into it if it's not necessary. I also have no codes thrown as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM

I am going to clean out the EBP sensor and tube this weekend, no one has any other thoughts as to what it could be?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM

And one other potentially stupid question. I deleted my EGR back in the winter, however I left the EGR valve in and still plugged in. I heard that disconnecting it could lead to issues with the fan cooling system and that it's better to just leave it in. Having said that, do I still need to clean the valve periodically?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 AM

I don't think you would need to clean the egr valve after you deleted the cooler. But definitely keep plugged in, cause like you said you will have problems with your fan not engaging at the proper times with it unplugged. As far as the ebp sensor I have heard a dozen guys say that it's still acive, and a dozen guys say that it's inactive. From what I have read it's the 03 to 04's with the 06e17 flash are the ones that use the inferred inputs and cancel out the ebp sensor. As far as I can tell the 05+ still might be using a reading from the ebp, but it's possible that a new flash could be out there that cuts out the signal from the ebp. I guess to know for sure you'd have to hook up a scangauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.