Advice on Stuck Fuel Reg Flare Nut? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on Stuck Fuel Reg Flare Nut?

Hey all - top flare nut for the fuel inlet line on fuel bowl is stuck something fierce. Don't have a line/flare wrench (every damn store in town is out) - just using a couple of box wrenches, but I'm about to either strip the flare nut or twist/crack my fuel line if I torque on that thing any harder. Been hitting it with PB, and a few light taps with a ball peen but still nothing. Advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

If you really need to get it off, you may have to replace more than you want to! Unfortunately, if it was installed too tight or corroded/fused it will require way more force than needed and could easily take the fuel tube with it.

If you are just going in for the blue spring, you can leave it attached and just remove the cap screws. You would then just lightly pry to separate the pressure regulator from the fuel bowl to replace the parts. Beware of loosing any parts as you work in the small space.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 AM

In addition to the blue spring, what I really need is the space to get at the thermostat housing bolt that sits right under the fuel line. The last tech to work on this thing partially rounded it off and didn't use any anti-seize so it's stuck in there really well. Worse case scenario is get the pliers and pull it out but given how little space there is to work with I'd prefer to just get the fuel line out of the way.

Of course I could just cut the line and splice in a new flare connector.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I never use flare nuts on those. It'll come but you're really going to have to lean on it.

7/8s jammed over top of the rad hose is about the only spot you can get a back up wrench on the fitting. push on it at the same rate you're pulling on the 13/16" line nut. Sometimes you can get the wrenches lined up just right so you can squeeze both in your hands like a pair of scissors.

Just Be glad it's not an econoline, as hard as that seems e-series is a little harder
Old 07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
wrenches lined up just right so you can squeeze both in your hands like a pair of scissors
Been there done that a few times over the years.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Emergency Services

I did get a very slight twist on my fuel line when I did my blue spring. No problems so far thought. I was prepared to replace the whole line and it finally broke free.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM

Ended up taking the FPR cover off for the blue spring update, then just unscrewing the cover. Tried the scissors trick but nada. At some point in the future I'll go back and fix it but for now too many things to do.....like fetch that long socket that dropped in my engine valley!!

Thanks for the tips all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.