Insane injector problem, Need advice please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Insane injector problem, Need advice please!

#4 injector went south on me. I replaced it with a BWD Rebuilt injector from Advance Auto around 6 weeks ago. Truck ran fine for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago, it start missing bad a mile or so from my house. The next morning, I started it back up and it ran great. I cleaned the EGR and took it to work. The truck ran great when cold, but when the oil temp got over 170, it started missing badly again. I got a code for cylinder contribution #4, the injector I just replaced. I parked the truck at work. Luckily I have an old beater car.

Symptoms:
Misses when hot
Cyl 4 contribution code
Random "pops" heard in exhaust, followed by brief puff of black smoke.

I figure if it runs great cold, it's likely not mechanical, so let's swap the injector out. Today I got a chance to take the valve cover off and removed injector #4. Upon removal, I discovered that one side of the injector coil assembly was not attached to the injector body. The through bolt that holds everything together was BROKEN. Most likely this was due to overtorque on the bolt when the injector was rebuilt. Part of the through bolt remained in the injector, the other part (with the nuts) is lost somewhere in the engine.

Obviously I need a new injector. However how concerned should I be about further damage to the engine with part of the through bolt and nuts floating around who knows where. I fished around the rocker box with a magnet, didn't find anything, but it would be easy for small fragments to hide in there. If it somehow made its way down the oil pan, I guess no real harm (other than a pain in my butt), but how do I know that's where it is?

The injector I installed was a BWD reman from Advance Auto. I'm talking with their store manager tomorrow at lunch time. Basically, I need a little advice on what the best course of action should be. Just install a new injector and move on with life? Tow the truck to PowerStroke Specialties (less than a half hour from where the truck is) and have them diag?

Haaalllpp mmeeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails
Insane injector problem, Need advice please!-60injector.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

You are one unlucky dude! This has happened a number of times to others and could be due to a number of issues, one being as you mentioned. Since you did not find it in the rocker box it probably is already in the pan. Drain your oil and strain for the piece. As well, you could probe/sweep the pan with a magnet. Even if you don't find it, more than likely it will not pose a problem. Try to get something in writing about a future related repair (low pressure oil pump) should the piece not be located.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
You are one unlucky dude! This has happened a number of times to others and could be due to a number of issues, one being as you mentioned. Since you did not find it in the rocker box it probably is already in the pan. Drain your oil and strain for the piece. As well, you could probe/sweep the pan with a magnet. Even if you don't find it, more than likely it will not pose a problem. Try to get something in writing about a future related repair (low pressure oil pump) should the piece not be located.
Thanks for the reply.

What other issues would cause this failure? TIA
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Inherent defect, installation issue with the injector slightly rotated so the rocker arms would hit the side of the injector spool. Normally the latter would leave marks or break the plastic. As you saw, that is one long and small bolt. It would be easy to overtorque it.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There was no way there could have been contact between a rocker and the injector. It frankly doesn't matter to me if the through bolt was inherently defective or if it was overtorqued by the rebuilder--either way, a faulty bolt disabled my truck... Luckily it disabled my truck near my home/work, and not in the middle of who knows where with a trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.